What Disc For Sharp Grind

terry_harris

I dont apply any pressure at all and get a sharp grind every time, all pressing hard does is make the grind harsher. Ideally you should use a fresh disk with a sharp corner on it, this will give the sharpness, using a rounded off disk it will be a duller grind.

Same - just the weight of the grinder (not even that!) will give a nice sharp grind.

I dunno, I did the whole pressing lightly thing, and the grinds although good, don't last long at all by comparison. You're completely right, they are exclusive of each other though, cause you can press hard and not get a "sharp" grind. In the end, I think people are just scared to really learn how to do it. It's not rocket science or even remotely complicated. I don't understand why people don't just try out a grinder on an old rim like suggested and find how it works to "perfect the technique" before moving on to a good rim. Surely a bike shop will GIVE a person a trashed wheel to practice on if they don't have one. Common sense seriously lacks sometimes.

Edited by rupintart

Yeh, a deeper grind always lasts longer - to the detriment of brake performance usually (depending on pads), from my experience.

What do you mean by "detriment of brake performance"? I use cousts and they work flawlessly with a deep, harsh grind. Well, they work good period, but best with a deep, harsh grind.