Echo Sl Hubs

gary-mac

Hi guys/girls hope you all had a good christmas. I've just built up a pair of wheels using echo sl hubs-trialtech sl rims and halo gold nipples, look really good and strong, BUT THERE IS A BUT, i just went to put the titainium echo splined sprocket on and there seems to be way to much play back and forward, the splines on the hub are like shark teeth but the sprocket has nice machined flat teeth does this sound right to you guys?? Also on top of that the axels are machined nicely down to 10 mm on one side and the other is only half machined down so it can only slide on one way. Is this right or have i just got the sh*^test BACTH of hubs from echo. Bought from tartys so maybe you guys can help me out here. won't be happy if i have to de-lace the wheels and start again due to poor quality machining!!!

166583_10150121793340984_530605983_7545746_7726268_n.jpg

echo4.jpg

echo2.jpg

echo1.jpg

To me this is a fault and and theres only one place for it!!!! the BIN

Edited by gary-mac

Hi guys/girls hope you all had a good christmas. I've just built up a pair of wheels using echo sl hubs-trialtech sl rims and halo gold nipples, look really good and strong, BUT THERE IS A BUT, i just went to put the titainium echo splined sprocket on and there seems to be way to much play back and forward, the splines on the hub are like shark teeth but the sprocket has nice machined flat teeth does this sound right to you guys?? Also on top of that the axels are machined nicely down to 10 mm on one side and the other is only half machined down so it can only slide on one way. Is this right or have i just got the sh*^test BACTH of hubs from echo. Bought from tartys so maybe you guys can help me out here. won't be happy if i have to de-lace the wheels and start again due to poor quality machining!!!

I know that one side has a flat spot intentionally lets the hub go in one way, although i'm not sure about the splines.

The axle bit is ok as far as I can remember but I am not sure about the splines, as said pics are bestest.

Edit: LOL that was a coincidence.

That explains the axles, i'll get pics up tonight and you all can have a look, to me the splines on the hub are seriously wrong as safty go's well out the window if i was to go and use it!!!!!

does the sprocket still have play once the lockring is tightened?

The axle is meant to be like that so it doesn't spin when the bolts are done up.

Hi Ali how are you, the sprocket doesn't move once tightened but that's only because its jammed in between the hub and lock ring the profile is all wrong , will get pictures up later. If this is wrong it really should of been checked before it left the factory. When the lock ring is off theres 5mm play back and forward that can't be right surely plus the teeth barely hold the sprocket.

I don't have much experience with the new SL hubs, but I know the older Echo splined hubs were a fairly tight fit with no play.

This is far from it! From my experience with motorcycles and mtb things like these are profiled to fit snugly Like you say ali! The lock ring is only there to stop the sprocket coming off it does no other purpose. Totaly cheesed off with this after building the wheel up. Pic to fallow later

Sounds like a top combination of parts you've got there!

Never heard of a lockring needing to take any of the load or a spline that doesn't fit snug. I'll be interested to see the photos.

yeah its not a bad set up, there just spare wheels to be honest.

The splines on my hub and sprocket are exactly the same as yours (I have a steel sprocket though instead of a titanium one). It really is a terrible fit, the sprocket moves back and forth quite alot!

But since fitting it around 9 months ago theres been no problems what so ever :) Granted its a bit of slopy engineering but it dosen't seem to matter once the lockrings nice and tight..

The splines on my hub and sprocket are exactly the same as yours (I have a steel sprocket though instead of a titanium one). It really is a terrible fit, the sprocket moves back and forth quite alot!

But since fitting it around 9 months ago theres been no problems what so ever :) Granted its a bit of slopy engineering but it dosen't seem to matter once the lockrings nice and tight..

Surely thats not right, to me thats taking liteness way to far and taking safty well out of it. Sorry but thats poor, This does't fill me of confidence when doing a drop gap thats for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meh, it works for me..

Plus you've gotta think that the chain is only pulling/twisting the sprocket in one direction around the hub splines (clockwise if you look at it side on). So as long as the sprocket is in the position that it is in the photo below when the lockrings tightened then its all good.

echo4.jpg

Meh, it works for me..

Plus you've gotta think that the chain is only pulling/twisting the sprocket in one direction around the hub splines (clockwise if you look at it side on). So as long as the sprocket is in the position that it is in the photo below when the lockrings tightened then its all good.

echo4.jpg

yeah i totaly agree but i think its awee bit rough and taking the whole liteness thing far to far!! don't get me wrong the wheel build with those hubs looks bomb proof i just think theres a chance at some point the splines will sheer off. If its right fair enough i'll give the wheels a good hammering and get on with it.

I agree, maybe if Adam from tarty bikes is on here at some point he can shine some light on this shocking design!

Why make a lovely profiled sprocket then make a hub with a total different profile. It's like telling a kid with size 3feet to go and buy size 6 shoes and tighten the shoe laces up

I'm sure that the spline on the hub is able to take the load required but thats some of the worst design/engineering i've ever seen! i'm very interested to know if it was actually designed like that or if it was somehow just made really badly. If i'd paid more than a tenner for that i'd be extremmely unhappy.

I don't think that this appalling lack of attention to detail does echo any favours in instilling confidence in the quality of their products. Although in general they seem to ofeer fairly good value for money they keep coming up with these little gems of pure ineptitude!

Actually your all wrong here. :giggle:

In terms of strength the triangular shape of these splines is fine, I cant be arsed to explain how the forces operate in this system sorry.

I have a goldtech hub with the same kind of setup that is not to say that deng has engineered it to the same quality as Goldtech though.

It is very old and has been through a few owners one of which is Dave 'I snap titanium bb's and pretty much everything else with my power moves' Kerr and it is still going strong.

Cai's is fine also, so in my eyes the evidence is pointing towards it being fine.

Disclaimer: It may not be fine. :lol:

Edit: I need to put my glasses on now and again, I see what you mean that is way off.

Edited by Matt Vandart