Bottom Bracket Rubbing Against Freewheel

ireson75

Hi everybody, this is first post other than my 'new member post' so please excuse me if I am asking a noob question!

I recently bought a new bottom bracket for my Dabomb Pro Team Magura and the driveside Bottom bracket cup is rubbing against the freewheel. The bottom bracket axle is 128mm and the shell width is 68mm so this seems a bit weird. Does anybody know what has caused this and why? The cranks are Da Bomb with a bashring and the freewheel is an ACS Claw.

Cheers, Tom

Hi everybody, this is first post other than my 'new member post' so please excuse me if I am asking a noob question!

I recently bought a new bottom bracket for my Dabomb Pro Team Magura and the driveside Bottom bracket cup is rubbing against the freewheel. The bottom bracket axle is 128mm and the shell width is 68mm so this seems a bit weird. Does anybody know what has caused this and why? The cranks are Da Bomb with a bashring and the freewheel is an ACS Claw.

Cheers, Tom

Is it possible that the shell with is 73? That could be the make or break point of your bike there.

Yeah, it could be. I will go now and check that out, hope not. Thanks for the quick response!

Not a problem, It was the first thing that came to mind and it is very possible. If it is I'm unsure what you can do to fix it besides return it and get another one.

Did you order the part or have it installed at a shop? If it was at a shop you can bring it back have them measure your frame and if it's 73 COMPLAIN!

Nothing worse then a stupid shop mechanic, I work with a few. But complain none the less and try to get a better deal while your at it.

Edited by Shop_Guy

Not a problem, It was the first thing that came to mind and it is very possible. If it is I'm unsure what you can do to fix it besides return it and get another one.

Did you order the part or have it installed at a shop? If it was at a shop you can bring it back have them measure your frame and if it's 73 COMPLAIN!

Nothing worse then a stupid shop mechanic, I work with a few. But complain none the less and try to get a better deal while your at it.

I got the bottom bracket of Tarty and the shell width is definitely 68mm, just measured it. I've got a feeling it could be to do with the dodgy DaBomb Crank/Bash ring?? Cheers

I got the bottom bracket of Tarty and the shell width is definitely 68mm, just measured it. I've got a feeling it could be to do with the dodgy DaBomb Crank/Bash ring?? Cheers

Well if you say its all correct I have used a washer that just barley fits over the spline and then install the crank it will give you the extra 2-4mm you need.

That being said keep a close eye that the crank stays tight after adding the spacer. Good luck!

Edited by Shop_Guy

Could be that the splines or taper in your cranks are worn, this happened to me but BB-side, I found out when I cleaned the BB taper, put it back on, and because the muck and s**t had been removed, the crank went on too far, Replaced the BB and it was fine, check the tapers/splines in your cranks

Well if you say its all correct I have used a washer that just barley fits over the spline and then install the crank it will give you the extra 2-4mm you need.

That being said keep a close eye that the crank stays tight after adding the spacer. Good luck!

Cheers for that. Does anybody have any examples of one of these washers? Can you buy them?? I noticed this on Tarty.. http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/bb_spares/tryall_sprocketfreewheel_spacer/c103p11328.html

Is it what you mean? Cheers

Cheers for that. Does anybody have any examples of one of these washers? Can you buy them?? I noticed this on Tarty.. http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/bb_spares/tryall_sprocketfreewheel_spacer/c103p11328.html

Is it what you mean? Cheers

yea man that's the spacer you might be able to fine one at a hardware store to save time and shipping.

All you want to do is get a few mm of clearance between the front free wheel and the frame.

If you do order get more then 1 go for 3 in case, better to have more then less. Once instaledl make sure they stay tight.

just so there is no confusion your running isis? the washer just needs to fit over the isis spline and sit against where the crank would normally.

If I was validated and could post pictures I would show you exactly what I mean. Best bet hardware store first. try to find something that's not to wide

it only has to be a few mm.

Edited by Shop_Guy

yea man that's the spacer you might be able to fine one at a hardware store to save time and shipping.

All you want to do is get a few mm of clearance between the front free wheel and the frame.

If you do order get more then 1 go for 3 in case, better to have more then less. Once install make sure they stay tight.

just so there is no confusion your running isis? the washer just needs to fit over the isis spline and sit against where the crank would normally.

If I was validated and could post pictures I would show you exactly what I mean. Best bet hardware store first. try to find something that's not to wide

it only has to be a few mm.

Okay, thats great. I will have a look the old hardware store! I'm running square taper bb; this one

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/square_taper_bbs/because_square_taper/c100p11006.html

Could you maybe email me pics??

Cheers, Tom

Okay, thats great. I will have a look the old hardware store! I'm running square taper bb; this one

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/square_taper_bbs/because_square_taper/c100p11006.html

Could you maybe email me pics??

Cheers, Tom

In the case of square taper I've never tried to fit a spacer before. I guess i should have asked if it was isis or square before remedying the issue. Either case after looking at the pictures I don't see how the spacer wont work.

the square taper eventually hits a spot where it cant go any further on to the spline. You essentially need to add a stopper to stop it from getting 100% of the way to the spot ( hence spacer) it just need to be large enough to reach the bottom

of the spline with force. I will e-mail you a picture of what i mean if this doesn't make seance.

thought he meant he checked the length of the BB :\.

Not to worry, No harm done. :) this is a great forum compared to the last one I left!

You won't be able to space a square taper BB properly, if you use a washer, it will be pushed over the steep end of the taper when you tighten the cranks:/

Yes, I will go out and get some pictures later tonight. It's the tabs on th ACS Claw Freewheel that are rubbing the bottom bracket so aew one seems sensible. Thanks for the great advice, really appreciated! Tom

I think your having the same problem I had.

First I filed the tabs off slightly but that still didn't work great so I then used some sticky back foil stuff (I guess duck tape would work) and but that on my crank arms to bulk it out a touch so the crank didn't go on as far.

Also, are the axle lengths the same as on the BB that you had before?

I just got new cranks and freewheel :P They were both naff anyway

Haha, the drivetrain seems to be a weakness on the DaBomb...it seems quite a good bike though- good for learning, better than other models. I'm not sure whether its worth upgrading it much though because I could just get a much better second hand bike without spending half as much money on it.

Here are the photos of the problem (Sorry about the not very good quality), I think a new freewheel is necesarry. If you look closely yu can see the tabs that stick out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58117374@N03/?saved=1

Cheers

In the case of square taper I've never tried to fit a spacer before. I guess i should have asked if it was isis or square before remedying the issue. Either case after looking at the pictures I don't see how the spacer wont work.

The only problem with that is that if you hold the crank further down the taper, it just won't get or stay tight, and it'll warp the tapers on the crank.

If the cranks are getting on a bit and they get tightened up without a torque wrench, then chances are they've been over-tightened at some point. I did the exact same thing to a set of taper cranks ages ago - the 'right' tightness usually feels like it's not really that hard to get to, but the whole point is that they need to not be stretched. Because you've got an ACS freewheel you also happen to have one of the widest ones available. To get a few extra mm you could grind away some of the removal tab. As long as there's a little left you should still (hopefully!) be able to get it off.

Either way - if you've got a 128mm BB in there, it's pretty much down to your crank tapers and freewheel.

The only problem with that is that if you hold the crank further down the taper, it just won't get or stay tight, and it'll warp the tapers on the crank.

If the cranks are getting on a bit and they get tightened up without a torque wrench, then chances are they've been over-tightened at some point. I did the exact same thing to a set of taper cranks ages ago - the 'right' tightness usually feels like it's not really that hard to get to, but the whole point is that they need to not be stretched. Because you've got an ACS freewheel you also happen to have one of the widest ones available. To get a few extra mm you could grind away some of the removal tab. As long as there's a little left you should still (hopefully!) be able to get it off.

Either way - if you've got a 128mm BB in there, it's pretty much down to your crank tapers and freewheel.

Yes, I totally agree. I think im going to buy a Tensile 60 Click Freewheel (it is one of the thinnest at 16.06mm compared to 19.1 for the ACS Claw) and seems to get good reviews from people on here. Cheers for all the great advice, what a great first impression of the forum. :D

Tom