Let's Settle This Once And For All

CroTrials

I've been reading the chain tensioner topics for the last 2 hours and it's a freaking jungle of information.

I've been riding the fixed ones and they are sh*t because the sprockets and the chain are never even on all parts.

The spring ones always have the same freaking problems: either they lose the spring effect or the chain gets caught up in the frame around the little wheel.

Please suggest me something that works, something that i can trust. I'm desperate here

(i'm runing a chris king on the back so only the ones that go directly on the dropout fit, and i ride a thick KMC 710 chain so none of those tensioners for thin chains count either)

Edited by CroTrials

I made a fixed tensioner out of a piece of plastic (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene to be precise, but most chunks of nylon will work), cut a chain guide into the end of it and mounted it to an aluminium angle bracket via an M4 allen screw through the chainring bolt that holds the mech hanger on. Because the plastic has a fair amount of give in it, it acts as a sprung tensioner, Ive not landed on it yet in the 2 years Ive been using it and its never lost tension :)

My Trialtech sprung tensioner (now part of The World's Most Advanced Spoke Tensionerâ„¢ up there) was pretty much faultless the entire time I had it. Works better than almost all other ones out there because of it's 'pinless' design so you can get it ultra low profile so it's nice and out of the way.

You could always switch to a K810 (or get a Lite/610HX) and be able to run a plethora of tensioners whilst still having a chain the same strength too.

Any good double wheel, i.e. Rolhoff, Try-All, Trialtech, Tensile etc. Whether your chain would work with those i dont know. Ive got something different, mines a Fire-Eye tensioner and its brill, keeps tension constant, gives maximum chain wrap and is silent. Also alot of the double wheel tensioners, paricularly the older Trialtech ones and the Try-All and Tensile ones (alot of t's there!! :giggle: ) are all basically the same so should something go wrong you can interchange parts :)

• 3 weeks later...

My Trialtech sprung tensioner (now part of The World's Most Advanced Spoke Tensionerâ„¢ up there) was pretty much faultless the entire time I had it. Works better than almost all other ones out there because of it's 'pinless' design so you can get it ultra low profile so it's nice and out of the way.

You could always switch to a K810 (or get a Lite/610HX) and be able to run a plethora of tensioners whilst still having a chain the same strength too.

no longer running it Mark? have any better pics of the "world's most advance spoke tensioner?"