Street Trials Bike

thorn2403

hi guys,

I want to get into trials riding - street rather than park, seems more appealing - but am not sure what bike to go for.

before people start say get an Inspired Fourplay, I would love to, but as an 18 year old about to go to uni, I simply cannot afford to :(

Is there any bike people can recommend for ~£400?

Also, I know its technically a dirt/street bike, but would a DMR Drone be any good for what I want?

48600.jpg

Thanks for the help :)

My linkhttp://www.tartybikes.co.uk/24_inch_trials_bikes/onza_zoot_2010/c50p11230.html

:)

Admittedly it's a bit over £400 but it's your best bet. Look out for second hand ones!

i've looked at the zoot before, but yeh it's a bit over price limit :S

and not too keen on getting a second hand one, know a couple of people who have had bad experiences from it.

are there any websites that sell "last years" trials bikes? as a beginner I don't really need the latest and greatest

Edited by thorn2403

The only other bike I can suggest is an Ashton Effect but the spec isn't great. Would be a good enough starter bike though to be improved on, and in your £400 budget http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item45f832b1b8

There's a lad on here who bought some forks off me recently who rides one, I'll find who he is and you could always PM him for some more info if you wanted.

EDIT: Here http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/user/18228-trialsman-dan/

Edited by isitafox

The main things probably the fact the Zoot is built with mainly Onzas own kit whereas the Ashton will be using cheaper wheelbuilds.

However the Ashton may be more suitable as a street bike due to the fact is uses a freehub instead of a front freewheel, the ashton is also a few kg's heavier with it running a front disc instead of a V like the Zoot. In terms of geometry they're roundabout the same. If you want a better comparison (as I'm not a streety rider) you'd probably be best ringing tartybikes and talking to Mark, he should be able to answer any questions you have.

and not too keen on getting a second hand one, know a couple of people who have had bad experiences from it.

You just have to be careful about which bike you buy, and ideally go and look at it first. Some people can look at a bike and it fall apart, others keep everything tip top.

The bad thing about that drone is it's got a dirty low BB and a high gear ratio. Nothing's stopping you from riding street trials on it (except the ratio) but it won't be as nice as the zoot is for it.

The freehub on the Effect's not great, so upgrading your drive-train's going to be significantly more costly than a Zoot where you can just replace the freewheel (which you don't need to do because the existing one's pretty good). The bars are also pretty narrow on the Effect which isn't ideal. Out of the Zoot and the Effect I'd get the Zoot every time, basically.

The DMR isn't going to be great for what you need. Longer rear end, super low BB, generally slack angles - not what you need! There aren't really that many solutions to your 'problem' apart from buying second hand. If you choose carefully you should still be able to get a decent bike, certainly better than a brand new one of equivalent price would be for the most part.