Paypal

Rob Leech

Hi All,

about 20 minutes ago now i logged onto my paypal account to check my balance and found that someone had tried, and was nearly successful(:S) in, taking just over 600 pounds from my account.

Luckily, i was skint at the time (:P) so the transaction was refused, yet they put it through again and is now in proccess, which i cant stop online.

The problem is my pay check went in last week and will be in my account this week, so if the transaction isn't stopped, i'm pretty much in the shit.

I rang paypal and they basically said that they couldn't do anything about it and i'd have to take it up with my bank.

I was just wondering if anyone on here had experienced the same thing and if they had any advice on the subject.

Thanks for any help,

Josh.

Edited by Rob Leech

I've never had any issues and I've been using it for years. What'll have happened is you've entered your details into a phishing site so changing your password and making sure all your details are correct is a must.

I've never had any issues and I've been using it for years. What'll have happened is you've entered your details into a phishing site so changing your password and making sure all your details are correct is a must.

yeah, this is what i thought, pretty sure it was amazon, which is abit worrying.

Cheers,

Josh.

Not necessarily, could just be a keylogger type nasty thing on his computer.

The other week I logged into my Ebay account at uni, an hour later it had been hacked and eBay had locked it out. No idea what happened but I certainly didn't put my details into a phising site.

Change your password and if possible username as well, and run a virus scan and a spyware scan on your computer.

Edited by Muel

Do you have a direct debit set up with your bank to pay paypal automatically? When I login to my bank account online I can see the paypal direct debit and can cancel it if I want to - could do that? If not I would suggest phoning your bank and stopping it though.

Surely it's paypals responsibility though? Their security obviously hasnt worked and so they should be able to stop the payment. Can they tell you anything about the transaction? (where the money is going?)

I've had problems with paypal freezing my account for no reason but apart from that no issues for me. I try to avoid using them though...

Best of luck mate

edit: just realised its you josh! come down south for a ride :D

What JT! put earlier is quite possible for how they got your details - i've seen some pretty impressive phishing emails going around. They look exactly the same as the ones from ebay, and are from '@ebey.co.uk' or similar. Make sure you don't use any links in emails and just add ebay, paypal, banks etc to bookmarks instead.

Edited by nb88

I advise anyone who clicks around on dodgy emails that thinks they could be being phished, to close their browser and re-navigate.

Also I advise people to make a custom homepage full of links! I do this, saves time and effort typing, ha.

Also, banks seem to have the power to retrieve payments when you pay them out, so do this, which it seems you are.

Make sure to tell them what is/you think is going on.