Trail Tyres

haydon_peter

Sorry, a tyre thread for you :P

I have been running 2.35 Single Ply High Rollers on my Commencal Meta 5 for ages. The bike used to be more of a 'do it all' bike but I now have a Giant Glory for DH duties, the tyres need replacing so I am now considering a change.

I previously ran Kenda Nevegals and loved them until I realised how shit they are at resisting pinch flats and thorn punctures so soon went back to the trusty High Rollers. I like the predictability and feel of High Rollers but also think that I would benefit from a faster rolling tyre, especially seeing as the bike is now being used mainly for XC and singletrack.

My current considerations are:

Another set of single ply High Rollers and just put up with the drag

Single Ply Maxxis Minions

Maxxis Advantages

(Note I am a bit of a maxxis fan! haha)

What tyres do people recommend? I'm not an all out XC whippet and enjoy the down hills more than the up hills, basically I would like a less draggy tyre for the up hills that still performs well on the down hills and fast singletrack...

Does anyone have any experience with WTB Prowler MX/XT tyre? Look quite good and have read some reasonable reviews but would be interested to hear opinions. Also, what are DMR Moto Diggers like for this sort of use? I'm basically in the same boat as Tic, Am still using 2.3 Specialized Enduros that came on my Hardrock in 2005 but fancy a faster rolling alternative (though around the same width).

What compound high rollers do you run Tic? Out of the two other options you list, minions don't roll that much better and advantages aren't very inspiring in terms of grip. I'd recommend you stick with the high roller on the front, 2.35" 60a compound. Then run either a crossmark or aspen 2.25" exception series on the back. Both of these roll better than the high roller, have excellent and predictable grip and are nice and light while still being stable and puncture proof. I'm running a high roller/aspen combo right now and it's fantastic for trail riding at this time of the year.

If you wanted something faster you could try a racing ralph 2.25" or 2.4" (on sale at CRC). They are amazingly fast and still very grippy and predictable, but don't have the same puncture protection as a maxxis.

I've run high rollers for ever, and occasionally fancy a change. Haven't found anything I like more. The 2.1 high rollers are a lot thinner and faster so if you're small and there's no rocks where you ride, you might do ok. I didn't like them at all.

The advantages are ok, but they're a different carcass compared to high rollers - they're much thinner sidewalls but higher air volume. Didnt have any grip issues.

Depending on where you ride, you might find you can get away with some of the semi-ish slick maxxis tyres. I can't remember the names of them...

I'm riding Highroller 2.35 supertacky front and 2.2 advantage rear on my meta 5 they feel great the advantage rolls really well but it can slip out quite abit, although its a 2.2 it looks alot wider. Ignitors are good aswell I used them a while ago for a xc race I had the 2.1's which felt pretty wobbly but they are amazing on the uphill just get a 2.35 ignitor on the rear and a highroller for the front thats what I should of done. The sidewalls are pretty thin on the ignitors though I'd watch out for that.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I have made a decision.

Single Ply Maxxis Minion F 2.35 on the front and a Maxxis Crossmark on the rear.

Does anyone know what the sizing of the Crossmark is like? Will 2.10 width be all good or would I be better off going for the 2.25?

I wouldn't go for a 2.1 crossmark ,my friend had a 2.1 they are pretty bad in the wet and don't offer much grip on mud it doesn't really go well with such a knobberly tyre like the Minion FR, a wider one would be better though 2.25 is just about perfect for the rear you'll just have to watch the back end on loose stuff and the sidewalls are also quite thin that sounds abit negative but they are amazing uphill because of the line hard of hard rubber in the centre of the tyre.

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update for anyone that might be interested.

I went for a 2.35 60a Maxxis Minion F on the front and a 2.10 60a Maxxis Crossmark on the rear.

I'm a happy chappy! The bike rolls noticeably quicker and I still have the confidence of a knobbly front tyre. The Minion seems to roll quicker than the old High Roller and the Crossmark provides much less rolling resistance, on road sections the tyres are much quieter with less dragging noise. When pointing the bike down a hill the Minion is nice and predictable and although the Crossmark doesn't feel as forgiving as a High Roller I am getting used to it and am yet to have any major grip issues!

I have used the tyres mainly for XC but have also played around on dirt jumps, a pump track and spent a weekend in Wales riding harsher trails.

Well since I was ignored completely I said screw the lot of you and bought a pair of WTB Prowler MX folding tyres (2.3's). They're a bit wider than my old tyres but have a more rounded profile and lower rolling resistance. However they've also got some pretty meaty knobs on them so really give confidence with cornering and seem to bite in on acceleration/deceleration too. And they were only a tenner each...