Brakes - Street Bike

nb88

Hellooooooo,

I just bought myself a second hand 24" street bike. I usually ride 'pure' trials on my echo control 26" but I want to try out some flowy streety moves, you know the score.

So anyway, I don't want a bitey, loud brake like the one on my 26" - magura + heatsink pads on a grind. But i do want a reliable brake with good hold (doesn't need to be amazing). The bike has maguras front and back at the moment with koolstop/black pads and the hold isnt too good.

Thinking of going V front and back with some decent pads for a smooth rim. SD7's or ultimates if I can find some. The bike has V-brake lugs front and back and no disc mounts. Or are there any good magura pads for a smooth rim?

Also...has anyone bled an '05 magura with goodridge hosing, with water? Any problems with leaking etc.?

Cheers.

Noori

Vees are deffinetly worth a try on smooth as they work really well!

But if you don't want to waste too much money, get heatsink yellow pads. I used them when I was riding a smooth rim rear. It was holding really well. They were really impressing actually!

I say ditch the front rim brake, they are no match for a disk when it comes to smooth flowy riding, any chance of one on the rear? That would be ideal.

if the frame has vee mounts stick with vees, I LOVE vee brakes, HOWEVER, for street riding, I found they rattled about a bit too much and tended to make the riding seem a lot harsher than it was. Magura's are crap, but the best for a quieter bike.

as for pads, it depends on what rim you have, if it's a smooth anodised rim, then some pads meant for a grind would actually work well if you want it to be quiet (TNN, Phatpads, Rocks pads etc) if it is ground or has been ground, then you will either have a brake with lots of noise with pads designed for trials and a grind, or stick with your current pads and put up with the lack of hold.

Cheers for your help guys.

I don't have disc mounts on the frame or forks so can't have disc just yet. I'm hoping to not spend too much so I can see whether I enjoy 24" as much. I'm thinking i'll try the heatsink yellows on the rear magura, and get an SD7 up front. I'm after a quiet bike really and don't mind having worse hold because of it, I think i'll get used to it and it will hopefully make me a smoother rider. I tend to rely on my brake a lot at the moment and it can make me look a bit sketchy. The rim is smooth, its painted black but most of the paint has come off from using rim brakes.

The evo mounts are a problem though, at the moment the magura is set up fine but I may have problems if I get wider pads such as heatsink? Not sure I can be bothered with the hassle so might be worth going V front and back!

Anyone used goodridge hosing with a water bleed? Think i'll move the brake over to my 26" as long as I can use water in it. (are '05 levers better than '04 or is it personal preference?)

My main bike is an echo control but if I like 24" then i'll stick with it and ride it more. I bought it so I have something fresh in trials to do around my local area. Brakeless... not sure i'd enjoy it, or be patient enough to learn to do it! I'll try brakeless next time i'm riding though and see how it goes.