Anyone Here Trade Stocks?

nb88

Nice one tom, some more small caps I can take a look at. I'm also looking at GKP at the moment and missed a huge opportunity at RRL, was thinking of buying at 5p, now around 20p :mellow: .

dann, I'd recommend getting a good book if you want to try it, I bought one on the basics of investing from the financial times and its been really helpful. If you want any advice on it then feel free to ask although i'm still only a newbie!

That website is really good. Some more useful ones:

http://www.fool.co.uk/ - Really good articles and guides, and they have a good easy-listening podcast aswell

http://www.fool.co.uk/Investing/guides/The-Difference-Between-Saving-And-Investing.aspx?source=uhpsitts0000001 - Good guide from the same website

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/ - Yahoo finance, good for tracking FTSE and for news

http://www.advfn.com/ - When you start researching companies, the bulletin boards on here can be useful

If you want to ease into it with less risk, you can buy funds, the place I use for that (in an ISA) is:

https://www.fidelity.co.uk/

And I use TD Waterhouse for trading -

http://www.tdwaterhouse.co.uk/

The book that i have:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Financial-Times-Guide-Investing-G-Arnold-/130380426102?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item1e5b476b76

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Nice one tom, some more small caps I can take a look at. I'm also looking at GKP at the moment and missed a huge opportunity at RRL, was thinking of buying at 5p, now around 20p :mellow: .

Yeah, missed out on RRL too. When I started I bought/sold pretty frequently and ended up losing money. Trying to follow the crowds/rampers on discussion boards isn't a good idea in my experience, and everyone was ramping RRL so I didn't even look at it!

I'm just sticking with my 3 now long term. They're all explorers looking to become producers (except for WTI who reported their first sales this morning) so hopefully in a year or two they'll be worth something.

Dann, I read the naked trader, fairly light reading and a good introduction. I also use TDWaterhouse to buy/sell - it really is very simple once the account is set up.

edit: shareprice.co.uk is good for share prices and discussion (it merges posts from multiple discussion boards). Their iphone/android app is excellent too.

Trying to follow the crowds/rampers on discussion boards isn't a good idea in my experience, and everyone was ramping RRL so I didn't even look at it!

I agree with that, but the boards can be good for people summarising news reports and doing calculations for revenue/profit which is really useful. Best way is to buy and hold on fundamentals and not get nervous but yeah, easier said than done!

dann, the mimimum you want to invest in a individual stock is about £1k really - you get charged a fee for every transaction (buy or sell) that you make so you don't want to lose too much profit from that. Funds though, you can invest like £100 as you get charged a percentage instead of a fixed £ amount.

hold around £26,000 in bt shares, but i work for them, so took advantage of the tax relief and discounts of employee share plans, hasn't worked out too bad.

got 3300 at 68p

7100 at 61p

1800 at 117p

then I've bought smaller amounts(totalling about 650) between about 160p and 190p, but I haven't paid tax or national insurance on them so its all good.

Keep saying I'm going to invest money into shares, but unless it comes out of my pay before I get it, I never seem to have it spare.

Also keep saying I'm going to spread bet, and next time a disaster is on sky news, bet short on the big companies in that country. (for example in the moments after the tsunami hit, bet short on honda, nissan, toyota etc in the japanese markets) likewise on the manufacturers and airlines of planes that crash etc, but once again I never actually do it, just think about it, then kick myself every time I look at what i could of made.

Nice man, you must have been working for BT for a while? Some of my friends options deals look pretty sweet - they can get 9 shares for the price of 6 and stuff like that, theres a maximum they can invest every month though.

I've looked into spread betting but it's too risky for me, i'd rather buy shares in a company after they've dropped, for example buying stocks in rolls royce after they had engine problems etc. I really wanted to buy some BP shares when they bottomed at like 300p but didn't have any spare cash at the time and was still getting the hang of trading >_<

You only pay capital gains tax if you get more than £10k profit in a tax year so it's nothing to worry about yet, although you get 10% (i think) tax on dividend income - so i put my funds in an ISA.

I'm waiting for AAZ to wake up...theyre churning out profits but the share price just isnt moving. Will do sometime, will just have to patient.

hold around £26,000 in bt shares, but i work for them, so took advantage of the tax relief and discounts of employee share plans, hasn't worked out too bad.

got 3300 at 68p

7100 at 61p

1800 at 117p

then I've bought smaller amounts(totalling about 650) between about 160p and 190p, but I haven't paid tax or national insurance on them so its all good.

Keep saying I'm going to invest money into shares, but unless it comes out of my pay before I get it, I never seem to have it spare.

Also keep saying I'm going to spread bet, and next time a disaster is on sky news, bet short on the big companies in that country. (for example in the moments after the tsunami hit, bet short on honda, nissan, toyota etc in the japanese markets) likewise on the manufacturers and airlines of planes that crash etc, but once again I never actually do it, just think about it, then kick myself every time I look at what i could of made.

I'm invested in a variety of different things which, on average, cancel out each others losses and my portfolio as a whole is gradually growing quite nicely. I also use TD, but only because I used to use eTrade and once that shut down it was automatically moved across. I've got a quite a lot of shares from previous jobs I've worked in and funnily enough these are the worst performing stocks I own! Bastards.

Due to the nature of my previous job I used to pretty much day trade and made some really good gains now quite regularly. Now, with uni and stuff, I've sold everything I consider to be volatile and moved the cash into safer areas.

Nice man, you must have been working for BT for a while? Some of my friends options deals look pretty sweet - they can get 9 shares for the price of 6 and stuff like that, theres a maximum they can invest every month though.

I've looked into spread betting but it's too risky for me, i'd rather buy shares in a company after they've dropped, for example buying stocks in rolls royce after they had engine problems etc. I really wanted to buy some BP shares when they bottomed at like 300p but didn't have any spare cash at the time and was still getting the hang of trading >_<

Yea the 9 for the price of 6 thing, is basically the tax and national insurance thing i was on about, you buy up to £1500 a year,out of your pay before tax and national insurance, so you effectively save 31% on the cost of the shares, but youve got to keep them so long, otherwise you have to pay it on them once you sell it.

as for working them for a while, 6 years, but 2 years ago, when the employee share plan came out for that year (10% off purchase price for a 3 year plan, or 20% off for a 5 year plan), the shares where like 76p or something, so got a load at 61 and 68p.

regards spread betting, i kind of agree on the risk, but if a ryanair plane drops out the sky, its fairly obvious shares are going to take a hit for a couple of days, stick on £15 a point, with a 10 point trailing stop loss. maximum your going to lose is £150, if they drop 25 points(its in euros before anyone says they cant) thats like 7% drop, which isn't a huge amount, given the controversy around their safety regulations and skimping on stuff. even if you dont cash in on it at the bottom, and your trailing stop loss picks it up, thats still £225, for a risk of £150.

If you did the same thing on the BP disaster, but risked say £500 at £50 a point, you'd be sat on around £16000 tax free.

I know a bloke that did just that, but risked £2000(still at £50 a point, just had a bigger stop loss), cashed them back in after theyd started climbing, at £3.30, then just used the money he'd made, to buy shares in the company that was climbing back up. as far as im aware he still owns the shares, which must be around £23000 worth now,

Edited by Fish-Finger-er

You only pay capital gains tax if you get more than £10k profit in a tax year so it's nothing to worry about yet, although you get 10% (i think) tax on dividend income - so i put my funds in an ISA.

I'm waiting for AAZ to wake up...theyre churning out profits but the share price just isnt moving. Will do sometime, will just have to patient.

What are their debts rising like?

Yea the 9 for the price of 6 thing, is basically the tax and national insurance thing i was on about, you buy up to £1500 a year,out of your pay before tax and national insurance, so you effectively save 31% on the cost of the shares, but youve got to keep them so long, otherwise you have to pay it on them once you sell it.

as for working them for a while, 6 years, but 2 years ago, when the employee share plan came out for that year (10% off purchase price for a 3 year plan, or 20% off for a 5 year plan), the shares where like 76p or something, so got a load at 61 and 68p.

regards spread betting, i kind of agree on the risk, but if a ryanair plane drops out the sky, its fairly obvious shares are going to take a hit for a couple of days, stick on £15 a point, with a 10 point trailing stop loss. maximum your going to lose is £150, if they drop 25 points(its in euros before anyone says they cant) thats like 7% drop, which isn't a huge amount, given the controversy around their safety regulations and skimping on stuff. even if you dont cash in on it at the bottom, and your trailing stop loss picks it up, thats still £225, for a risk of £150.

If you did the same thing on the BP disaster, but risked say £500 at £50 a point, you'd be sat on around £16000 tax free.

I know a bloke that did just that, but risked £2000(still at £50 a point, just had a bigger stop loss), cashed them back in after theyd started climbing, at £3.30, then just used the money he'd made, to buy shares in the company that was climbing back up. as far as im aware he still owns the shares, which must be around £23000 worth now,

I like the idea, I will probably have a go on a fantasy trading site and see how it goes. I can see how big money can be made, the stop losses do lower the risk a lot aswell. Cheers dude.

Matt - they will most likely have 0 debt before the end of the year. Making massive profits at the moment (over $1000 per ounce of gold), will produce over 60,000 oz this year. Paid off $8m of debt to $22m in first quarter of 2011 which is their weakest quarter for production (due to weather). I have high hopes for this company!

Edited by nb88

I like the idea, I will probably have a go on a fantasy trading site and see how it goes. I can see how big money can be made, the stop losses do lower the risk a lot aswell. Cheers dude.

Matt - they will most likely have 0 debt before the end of the year. Making massive profits at the moment (over $1000 per ounce of gold), will produce over 60,000 oz this year. Paid off $8m of debt to $22m in first quarter of 2011 which is their weakest quarter for production (due to weather). I have high hopes for this company!

Did they sell assets to pay off this part of the debt?