Headset Wobble

nb88

Basically, I can feel a very slight wobble when i put my front wheel up against something and rock the bars back and forth. I get this no matter how much I tighten the headset. Its the same when I take the front wheel out and rest on the forks, so it's definately the headset.

I've got a Chris King headset in a Fourplay frame with pashley forks, I installed it yesterday and the cups are very solid in the frame, cant feel any movement (by hand obviously). The crown race is quite loose on the steerer though, it can spin and I can install/remove it by hand fairly easily.

I installed the cups using a block of wood and a mallet, but I was very careful and can't feel any movement in the cups at all, so i'm pretty sure it's not a slightly flared headtube.

Pretty sure it's to do with the crown race, but is there anything I can do to fix this? I have no idea whether its the fork steerer or the crown race itself - is it common to be able to fit them by hand or are they usually a very snug fit? If I ride with the headset like this, is it likely to cause any further damage, such as a flared headtube?

Cheers

Edited by nb88

hi

i just put a steel thread from the bottom of the forks up through the headset cap with a couple of nice lock nuts (this was not with your headset) problem solved for me. i used to have my headset loosen by like 1mm but you notice it sure as.

p.s i dont recommend this method butr it worked for me. no more wobble and just a tiny bit more weight.

If anyone else has a more conventional way to fix it, take there advise lol

I'm not sure I see what you mean?

The little metal bearing race that goes on the fork steerer tube is a loose fit on the steerer so I think thats causing the headset wobble...

I just put a bit of electrical tape underneath the crown race and it sorted it, so that must be the problem. Tempted to glue it on to the steerer, but does any one have any other ideas? I'll look for spare crown races online though...

The electrical tape won't last though, with a small ride and some heavy front wheel moves, it started feeling loose again. I've read that you can also centre punch holes on the steerer crown-race tube and the raised notches are enough to hold the crown race. Anyone have any experience doing this?

go to your local bike shop, take your forks and crown race, get them to fit any 1.1/8 crown race on your forks and see if you have similar problems with it being loose, then put your crown race on a set of new forks to see if it's right. then it's new forks or new crown race time...

one of my mate has had the same problem with a chris king headset, he just bought an echo headset and it didnt happen again. may just be something to do with chris king's.

have you got a vice? when i install my headsets I push the cups in as far as possible by hand, then put it in the vice with a half a number plate on each end to not damage headset, then crank it up until its nice and straight.

then when putting the forks in, make sure you do up the top-cap nice and tight before straightening the bars and then tighten the stem bolts last.

if your sure its not the fitting, id say just buy a new headset.

I have no front brake at the moment. To test the headset I just lean the front wheel on a wall and rock forwards and backwards. The wobble was very slight, but i'm just a bit worried it could end up causing something a lot worse like a flared head tube.

I glued the crown race onto the fork and it seems to have gotten rid of the problem. Not sure how long it'll last, i've not been for a proper ride on the bike yet, but if it happens again I'll probably try a new headset! Shame really cause king's look so pimp!

I havent got a vice but have installed all my headsets in the past using the hammer and block of wood method...never had any problems. Come to think of it I had a king on an old zoo python, and that had a lot of problems.