Advantage-Disadvantage,

Little Yoshi

But why? Whats the advantages?

Its juat easier to get the power down for static things. Better for short run ups and stuff.

It depends when kind of 24 you do.... If your not just doing typical trials then you might miss the speed you can get from a harder gear ratio.

Its juat easier to get the power down for static things. Better for short run ups and stuff.

It depends when kind of 24 you do.... If your not just doing typical trials then you might miss the speed you can get from a harder gear ratio.

But surely the higher gear ratio means more power?

I'm wondering which gear ratio to use on my 24 at the mo, as I have a 18T sprocket on the cranks now...

I run 22:18 on the 26" which is perfect, 22:17 on the 24" is a tiny bit lighter but not noticeable.

But with the 18T up front, the choice of 18:13 or 18:14...

18:13 will give a harder gear than 22:17, 18:14 will be slightly softer. Really not sure which cog I should get! Only just got the 24" so I don't know what sort of riding I'll be doing on it...hopefully a bit of street and some trialsy stuff aswell. I'll probably go for the 13T to be honest.

If you are riding the rest of the comps 18:14 will benefit you a lot more. Street riding where you have the space for big power moves and general zooming about I can see 18:13 being beneficial.

I may even have a cheeky wee splined wide base gusset cog for sale ;-)

Im running 18-14. its perfect for everything! you wont regret changing it to that!

What size cranks do you have?

I've found 18:14 too easy as well, rolling moves are harder with it

I'm going to put my SL on some 170mm cranks instead or 175mm to try and stiffen it up a little, so it saves me having to get a new 13t cog and it will keep my chainstays at 360mm too which is perfect for my frame

If you are riding the rest of the comps 18:14 will benefit you a lot more. Street riding where you have the space for big power moves and general zooming about I can see 18:13 being beneficial.

I may even have a cheeky wee splined wide base gusset cog for sale ;-)

But why?Wats the advantage? All i can see is that you get less power down.

18-14 with 170 was great on my trialsy 24. For street is recommended to go harder if you want to reach higher speeds with less work. It has been set that stocks normaly run 1.2 ratio and mods 1.3 it is best ratio for both rolling and static power moves that should let you use most of the power from you legs/body preloads. I.E. with 18:18 you would be just wasting energy and won't get much unless you run shorter cranks, decreasing the leverage, although with 18:10 there won't be enough power going through unless you have 300mm cranks :P People discovered perfect combination of crank lengh vs gearing ratio, so we don't need to "reinvent the wheel"!

Have been suggested to me that I try a lighter gearing.

Currently running 18:13 on my 24. Anyone can tell me?

If you had said at the start you are making it more comp style i think this would have been really simple. 18-14 like i told you last week boyo ;). for natty bashing your gearing is to high at the moment.

If you had said at the start you are making it more comp style i think this would have been really simple. 18-14 like i told you last week boyo ;). for natty bashing your gearing is to high at the moment.

Maybe for the twigs that you call legs.... :P

I ride 18:13 on my 24 which i like.

I don't have a very hoppy, hoppy style so i like it for the momentum you can get. If i were to ride a more traditional/comp trials style on my 24 then i'd go for 18:14.

However having said that, i have no trouble with hopping around with that gearing, i guess it's just unnecessary if you're not going to be doing anything rolling.

these so called twigs monster your short stumps

your really missing the point dude lol, I have a 14t you can have for a few quid if you wanna try it then you have the choice to swap whenever you feel the need for some street and some natty.

Ps, is there even a street where your from?