My First Trials

Tioz

Arrived today!

Set it all up but I'm not at all happy with the brakes <_<

The front drags and is not powerful and the back vee I can't get the lever to stiffen

For the rest what do you think? It was 100£:turned:

imag0137v.th.jpg

imag0144oq.th.jpg

imag0146g.th.jpg

imag0148l.th.jpg

imag0150x.th.jpg

imag0152f.th.jpg

imag0154sg.th.jpg

imag0156lp.th.jpg

Looks good mate!! Especially for £100!

As for the front brake take it off the bike and push the pistons back this will stop it dragging!

And the rear Vee, undo the little nut at the back where the wire goes through and pull more wire through

this will make it tighter!

Jay

Looks good mate!! Especially for £100!

As for the front brake take it off the bike and push the pistons back this will stop it dragging!

And the rear Vee, undo the little nut at the back where the wire goes through and pull more wire through

this will make it tighter!

Jay

Unfortunately the disk isn't perfectly straight >_<

Congratulations ! Tioz - what country are you in ?

Ireland for now :turned:

I'll start working on the brakes this evening..I'll score the rear rim and set them both up well..I might think of a good pair of phat pads..wich would you get? (I'm going to score the rims with 3M) I saw the inspired but are there any better ones? And is there a way of trueing the front disk?

Also what pressure should I keep in the tires?

If there is a way of truing a disk i want to know it!

And as for tyre pressure its complete personal preference if you run them lower you will more than

likely get snake bite punctures to start with however when riding natural i have very very low pressure

to get the grip needed!! Pump them up to 30psi then let them down bit by bit see how you feel!

Jay

The back brake's ok now..the front is utter shit

There's no way I can get the lever rigid and even pulling all the regulations to the maximum, setting the pad clearance to closest possible to the disk it's just about mediocre to be nice about it

Could it be a question of worn pads? How many mm of meat do a new pair have on them?

The back brake's ok now..the front is utter shit

There's no way I can get the lever rigid and even pulling all the regulations to the maximum, setting the pad clearance to closest possible to the disk it's just about mediocre to be nice about it

Could it be a question of worn pads? How many mm of meat do a new pair have on them?

It could be worn pads but at a guess ide say it is contaminated pads!! Get some new ones and try that!

Jay

It could be worn pads but at a guess ide say it is contaminated pads!! Get some new ones and try that!

Jay

Or get an avid BB5 =)

What could I do about the back brake? One finger power isn't very good, I can just get the back wheel to block but it's very hard to hold and slips easily

I was thinking of getting a pair of phat pads (are the inspired good? I was thinking of scouring the rim with 3M scrub..is that any use?)..anything else I can do to make the vee better without spending too much? (I want to get magura further on)

Edit: I was looking at avid BB5s and was wondering if I could just buy the caliper instead of the whole brake and rotor..would it be worth it?

Edited by Tioz

you should grind your rear rim (there are tutorials on youtube) look at getting some quality vee pads, tnn's are awesome! phat pads aren't that amazing for the money. you could try bedding in the front brake; find a big ass hill, roll down said hill with the front brake on, you want it on the whole way down but don't have it on to tight so that the bike can roll at a reasonable speed, the brake will get really hot, pour water over the whole thing with emphasis on getting it in the brake where the pads are, ride around on the flat, pull the brake and you should notice black crap all over the disc, pour water on the rotor to remove, repeat until braking improves...

upgrades you want to consider:

these brake levers they're awesome and cheap.

keeping cable brakes, everyone associates trials with hydraulic brakes, they're good but cable brakes are better, they're cheaper, spares are easy to get (a bust magura will end a ride unless your near a very decent bike shop and have some serious cash on you. cable brakes are very cheap...)

a better rear wheel that offers better engagements. the hub in the mad is prety poor, it's ok but it'll hold you back after you've worked out pedal hops and similar moves a high engagement point freewheel/freehub is worth buying. the cranks on your bike are death proof, and i think they're isis, which is awesome too cause thats a prety important upgrade thats already there for you..

you should grind your rear rim (there are tutorials on youtube) look at getting some quality vee pads, tnn's are awesome! phat pads aren't that amazing for the money. you could try bedding in the front brake; find a big ass hill, roll down said hill with the front brake on, you want it on the whole way down but don't have it on to tight so that the bike can roll at a reasonable speed, the brake will get really hot, pour water over the whole thing with emphasis on getting it in the brake where the pads are, ride around on the flat, pull the brake and you should notice black crap all over the disc, pour water on the rotor to remove, repeat until braking improves...

upgrades you want to consider:

these brake levers they're awesome and cheap.

keeping cable brakes, everyone associates trials with hydraulic brakes, they're good but cable brakes are better, they're cheaper, spares are easy to get (a bust magura will end a ride unless your near a very decent bike shop and have some serious cash on you. cable brakes are very cheap...)

a better rear wheel that offers better engagements. the hub in the mad is prety poor, it's ok but it'll hold you back after you've worked out pedal hops and similar moves a high engagement point freewheel/freehub is worth buying. the cranks on your bike are death proof, and i think they're isis, which is awesome too cause thats a prety important upgrade thats already there for you..

Hei mate thanks for the advice!

Coincidence I've just bought a complete Avid BB5 with speed 7 lever :rolleyes: It just came 20£ and is practically new It comes without cable

Should I think of getting a better cable of the one I've got now on the tektro? Or shall I just lubricate it?

So you say phat pads aren't worth it? What would be a good pair designed for smooth rims then? :)

Edited by Tioz

i'm very pro grind, i hear good things about heatsink yellows on a smooth rim, but seriously go for a grind! and TNNs. definatley look at getting a decent set of cables for the bike they improve the performance so much! after that consider a decent rear wheel this wheel with this freewheel would be awesome, plus you could swap to front freewheel later on with minimal difficulty...

i'm very pro grind, i hear good things about heatsink yellows on a smooth rim, but seriously go for a grind! and TNNs. definatley look at getting a decent set of cables for the bike they improve the performance so much! after that consider a decent rear wheel this wheel with this freewheel would be awesome, plus you could swap to front freewheel later on with minimal difficulty...

Ok I'll think about TNNs..also which are good cables?

I'd agree with ogre, either go for some LGV's or if your set on keeping your rim smooth get some heatsink yellows as they're unbelievable on a smooth rim. Though the second you get a bit of water on them (riding through a puddle or long wet grass for example) THEY WON'T DO A THING!

I'd agree with ogre, either go for some LGV's or if your set on keeping your rim smooth get some heatsink yellows as they're unbelievable on a smooth rim. Though the second you get a bit of water on them (riding through a puddle or long wet grass for example) THEY WON'T DO A THING!

Ok got it

A guy is offering me a back HS33 with braided hose , pads and mounts for 20£..it needs bleeding and the lever spring changing

Shall I just get that instead of new pads for the vee? (the pads alone are nearly 20£ for the vee >_<)

Anyway would using a scourer on the rim help? would yellow pads be ok anyway?

Edited by Tioz

Glad to see you finally got a bike mate!! Looks pretty good too (Y). Talking about pads, I recently bought myself some Heatsink yellows (plastic backings) for my rear Maggie, I previously had green Neon pads (for smooth rims) and they worked well but only when freshly clean, anyway, I fitted my heatsinks the other day and so far I can’t fault them, I haven’t got around to grinding the rim yet but they hold brilliant at the moment so I might leave it smooth for a while.

Glad to see you finally got a bike mate!! Looks pretty good too (Y). Talking about pads, I recently bought myself some Heatsink yellows (plastic backings) for my rear Maggie, I previously had green Neon pads (for smooth rims) and they worked well but only when freshly clean, anyway, I fitted my heatsinks the other day and so far I can't fault them, I haven't got around to grinding the rim yet but they hold brilliant at the moment so I might leave it smooth for a while.

Yeah I'm happy about the bike..next week the new front brake's arriving but I'm sticking with vees for the back :turned:

Do they make plastic backing for the vee yellows? On tarty they only have the aluminium ones

Only thing now is that I suck badly at riding it (N)

Edited by Tioz

I'm not sure, if Tarty only have them with aluminium backings then I'm guessing that’s the only way they come. Also I grinded my rim the other day to make my brake perform better and I'm very pleased with the outcome, by far the best brake set up I have had on the back, so if you do get yellows I suggest putting a medium grind on your rim. Just need to practise mate, takes a while to get the hang of but once you have you'll be trying all sorts.

I'm not sure, if Tarty only have them with aluminium backings then I'm guessing that's the only way they come. Also I grinded my rim the other day to make my brake perform better and I'm very pleased with the outcome, by far the best brake set up I have had on the back, so if you do get yellows I suggest putting a medium grind on your rim. Just need to practise mate, takes a while to get the hang of but once you have you'll be trying all sorts.

I agree on the practice :turned:

I got really frustrated yesterday morning because I couldn't balance on the rear wheel..I tried again in the evening and was hopping in no time :lol:

I don't think I'll grind the rim..it won't hold I think..it's just a nameless rim

I'll get a pair of good cables, a new lever for the back and yellow pads..then it should all be great!

I can wait to change the pedals..I don't really like them and they're slippery but brakes first ^_^

EDIT: do you think the BB5 I got is a good brake?

Edited by Tioz

Well done mate, keep it up. Seeing it's an un-named rim it’s probably a good idea not to grind it (Y), I hate slippy pedals; you just end up with tonnes of holes in your shins. As for the BB5, I've only ever heard good things about them, a lot cheaper than a hydraulic brake too, I'm thinking about getting one for my stock that I'm currently building.

Well done mate, keep it up. Seeing it's an un-named rim it's probably a good idea not to grind it (Y), I hate slippy pedals; you just end up with tonnes of holes in your shins. As for the BB5, I've only ever heard good things about them, a lot cheaper than a hydraulic brake too, I'm thinking about getting one for my stock that I'm currently building.

Probably have to go single speed too..my gears keep jumping :closedeyes:

Just need to wait for tarty to get the yellow heatsinks available again and then I'll order :turned:

I'll probably need a chain too..how do I know if my sprocket fits 1/8" or 3/16" or 3/32"?

Edited by Tioz