Bmx Hub (Now Questions Thread..)

Topsy

I seem to have broken my bmx hub, don't really know how, it wobbles around, making the bike unrideable. I've tried fastening everything that might make it stop, but nothing helped..

So the hub I'd like should be: Sturdy, Lhd (wanted to convert anyways) and light, alteast lighter than the one ive got now. and I've got NO ideas about bmx hubs at all.

I've got a felt mystic '07 (and I know it's sht, 14kg -.-' Bought it a long time ago and realised now that it was a bad idea..)

OR a whole new wheel. White rim preferably :P

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

Maybe killed the bearings?

If engagement is priority try a Primo Mix. Though if you don't mind a slacker hub look into the Gsport Ratchet with a 3/8" axle which is really light considering it's size. I wouldn't recommend any other hubs as they all pretty similar or they have a short limited life.

Rim wise Odyssey Hazard Lite is a winner. Only £60 on bmxcity which is pretty damn good for going prices on them.

And some dece spokes of course. DK, DT, Odyssey, etc

I think it would cost too much to get a new rim, hub, cranks and maybe forks. You also can't get anything second hand here and it seems everything is 1.5 times your price here :(

Was wondering if the Fitbikeco Aitken 3 would be worth it's money? Don't see a chance to try it though, would probably just have to adapt to it :(

Or the BF 2. Just like the look if those. No use buying a bike you don't like to be seen on :P

I'd use it for street, parks and perhaps a bit of dirt.

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

I think it would cost too much to get a new rim, hub, cranks and maybe forks. You also can't get anything second hand here and it seems everything is 1.5 times your price here :(

Was wondering if the Fitbikeco Aitken 3 would be worth it's money? Don't see a chance to try it though, would probably just have to adapt to it :(

Or the BF 2. Just like the look if those. No use buying a bike you don't like to be seen on :P

I'd use it for street, parks and perhaps a bit of dirt.

Put simply, no not if you're on a budget! They're like £350 and the quality isn't any better than a Sunday which are also nicely made. However riding American made gives your a warm feeling inside :D

If you can get a Sunday on sale you're quids in.

So which makes would have some good ones that are reliable and aren't too heavy? I've got no clue about quality of any makes so it's no use if you say that it's about the same as a Sunday :P

+ I don't live in the uk and would have even larger problems finding a sunday, let alone on sale, here. And if i have it shipped here the customs would want me to pay about 100£ extra :(

So budget actually isn't the biggest problem, I'd just have to save a bit longer ;)

You'd struggle to find a heavy bmx frame now. They all literally come in at around 5lbs. Good quality brands tend to be WTP, Fly, T1, FBM, Fit, Cult and Sunday. I don't think i can comment on anymore Taiwan made frames because i've not had one. Btw Fit, T1, FBM and Cult all offer Taiwan made now hence me listing them. United seem to be a fair bet but i've never used one let alone any of their components.

What country are you in?

It's worth buying a Sunday for the warranty which literally no one else offers for the same period. Others are 1 year and 2 year which are still fairly limited. Sunday also offer a decent range of geos now. Take alook :)

I'm in switzerland. The shop that has sundays is pretty expensive. But I guess any bikeshop can order any bike, right?

Why, what's sundays warranty like? I've actually got no idea what kind of geo would suit me best.. :(

Now I'm just trying to decide between fit and sunday :)

Terrible one website is probably hacked :/

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

Yeah Sunday are expensive. Their frames tend to feature allot more than others do. If you don't know what geo you want just buy a 20.75" Third/ Second Wave. If you're dedicated ramp and trail rider and are 6' or bigger get a 21"

Warranty goes along the lines of, bend it, crack it, break it you get a free replacement. Provided there's not a huge dent from a copin in that area. But Sunday's don't dent overly easy anyways!

• Like 1

I don't know what I'd like anymore.. the fit i liked looks crappy when you see it, not sure if i like the blue sunday a lot either. Like the Sunday aron Ross Signature one, but it'd take ages untill I'd have the money for it. The best for me would be to build my own, but then it only get's even more expensive :((N)

I don't know what I'd like anymore.. the fit i liked looks crappy when you see it, not sure if i like the blue sunday a lot either. Like the Sunday aron Ross Signature one, but it'd take ages untill I'd have the money for it. The best for me would be to build my own, but then it only get's even more expensive :((N)

Those are the same just with different geos. The Wave comes in black also ;)

Ticks most of the boxes. Completes don't vary overly much. It's all about getting a sale model and saving a hundred notes ;)

Oh, and longer chainstay is more stable, shorter is more agile.

To me, 13.25" is a joke, too short for anything but riding a curb.

13.75" is a perfect inbetweener. I'd go with this.

14.25" (which i've gone back to) is much more stable. Gives extra pop and balance for manuals and hops.

Edited by eskimo
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Due do a few unfortunate circumstances I still don't own one. (one of those being fbm wanting 400$ for shipping alone 0.o)

Well, my parents agreed to give me a voucher for a frame & forks for x-mas :)

Local bmx shop doesen't sale many frames, but has a BSD Forever V2 in stock.

How's the quality on those? :turned:

BSDs are solid frames with a good rep.

Never ridden a V2 but have been promising myself a WZA for my next frame (if/when I kill my current BMX).

Post a Youtube video of the problems with your wheel as it may just be bearings, easy to fix once you know how, cheap too

No need to do that anymore, nothing much to rescue on that bike (sprockets & cranks come loose everytime I ride and my chain started sawing about on the frame once when I didn't notice x)), and it defintately got too small now :P

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do I need a different rim if I'm going to run a rear brake? Or doesen't it matter?

Would be nice to have it the same colour as the front one (preferably blue..)

I've got these here to choose from.

I will probably need to get a part from Shadow Conspiracy (their scream sprocket :) ) so If they have a good rim you can tell me! :)

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

Maybe killed the bearings?

If engagement is priority try a Primo Mix. Though if you don't mind a slacker hub look into the Gsport Ratchet with a 3/8" axle which is really light considering it's size. I wouldn't recommend any other hubs as they all pretty similar or they have a short limited life.

Rim wise Odyssey Hazard Lite is a winner. Only £60 on bmxcity which is pretty damn good for going prices on them.

And some dece spokes of course. DK, DT, Odyssey, etc

Again...

I can't remember saying anything about running a rear brake back then..

I had actually though of getting the Eclat Bondi Aero Wall rim, but I'm not sure...

Would be nice to have it the same colour as the front one (preferably blue..)

And I'm at a complete new build, so I haven't got the front one yet and would like the colours to match nicely! :)

Edited by Hopping_Topsy