Thread Replacements To Small?

Kieran Morrison

I got my helicoil kit yesterday, and the thread replacement things that come with it are only like 3/4 of a cm tall. There is a bit that curvs in at the top of the replacement thing,it says to snip that to make it bigger threads, so do i need to snip it and put another replacement on the top of it to fit my Maggy mount?

Edited by Kieran Morrison

I got my helicoil kit yesterday, and the thread replacement things that come with it are only like 3/4 of a cm tall. There is a bit that curvs in at the top of the replacement thing,it says to snip that to make it bigger threads, so do i need to snip it and put another replacement on the top of it to fit my Maggy mount?

You have 1 diameter long inserts, they will be fine as they are, no need to add a second insert ontop. The bit that curves in is the insertion tang, dont break it off until the insert is fitted; you should use the insert tool to twist the helicoil into the tapped hole and then you should break the tang out of the bottom of the hole to allow the screw to be threaded through it.

The kit should have instructions, read and understand them thoroughly (three times!) before committing to actually drilling and tapping :)

You have 1 diameter long inserts, they will be fine as they are, no need to add a second insert ontop. The bit that curves in is the insertion tang, dont break it off until the insert is fitted; you should use the insert tool to twist the helicoil into the tapped hole and then you should break the tang out of the bottom of the hole to allow the screw to be threaded through it.

The kit should have instructions, read and understand them thoroughly (three times!) before committing to actually drilling and tapping :)

Okay, it just seemed a little bit small to fit the whole mounts, does it stretch out or something?

• 3 years later...

Hey, Keiran. Just found this post. One of the threads on my Magura brake mount's has been threaded at the top. There's still a bit at the bottom, but because of the height once the clamps and brake is on, the bolt can't grip the thread at the bottom of the bolt-hole. Phoned LBS who can take a look next week, but thinking helicoil kit might do the trick. Any advice?