New Chain Has Lost Me Small Front Crank Tension

KEEPitSTUPID

Is this as simple as its the wrong chain? I was out on my XC just started a trail and boom, the chain went, luckily i could get to a road and coasted to the onsite bike shop, and bought an sram 9 speed chain, i fitted and got on with the trail, but the small set was unusable over anything slightly rough.

Im useless with setting gears, im just learning all the setting up now as ive never had a bike with more than one front crank before,

Awwww no, dont say ive made a school boy error, i shot the old chain in the bin and threw the other one on to get back on the trails, what an idiot, is there a way to work out how tight to have the chain? So i can work it out myself

Yes. Shift into the granny ring on the front, and the smallest gear on the back (i.e. 9th), then undo the power link connector and tighten the chain by overlapping the two pieces until the chain is tight enough to be ridden (should still taught, but the mech will still be swung back). Remove excess links from one side of the chain with a chain tool, then fix the chain with the power link. Finally check you havnt removed too much, by shifting into the biggest gear on the rear (1st) then biggest on the front (3rd). Mech shouldn't be any more than 45 degrees pointing forward.

Awwww no, dont say ive made a school boy error, i shot the old chain in the bin and threw the other one on to get back on the trails, what an idiot, is there a way to work out how tight to have the chain? So i can work it out myself

Stick it on the 2 largest sprockets and shorten it until the rear mech is being pulled forwards at about 45°, this should give enough slack to still be able to change down, but not so much that it loses tension in the granny ring :)

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing

Not a case of worn cogs and new chain riding over them is it?

Na theyre pretty good, you can see a sag in the top of the chain, ive ordered sum small splitters, ( through work haha) so will sort it and try and get that 45 degree angle that has been mentioned, and go from there