Tyre Help For A Stock.

ForrestDump

I'm in the process of building up a stock, a Speedrace FANS to be exact, and I've been hunting around the forum looking for threads on tyres. At the moment I'm thinking of going with a Continental Mountain King 2.2 up front and a Continental Rubber Queen 2.4 on the rear after seeing them on a couple of stock builds, however I found that some people had issues with the Queen fitting their frame; therefore does anyone know if the Queen 2.4 will fit my FANS frame ok. Also what are people’s opinions on these two tyres and if there are any major issues with either what other tyre or tyre combo should I go for? If it’s any help I ride both street and natural on my mod so I will also be doing the same with my stock once built.

Thanks,

James.

Personally i found the RQ a bit tyre roll and puncture happy, grip was fairly good. But it is no where near as good as the TryAll Sticky Lite i'm not running, much better feel, awesome grip, fairly light and nice controllable bounce. I'd certainly pay the extra for it.

It's a difficult one but after using conti der kaiser for so long now i thought that was it i'll stick to it, I put on A try-all lite on rear and try-all sticky up front and all i can say is there mega, really impressed with the grip, liteness, bounce and stability. will be using them from now on!!!

I've recently been running a Minion DHF 70a single ply tyre on the rear and found the thread to be really grippy compared to the RQ.

However when it came to pinching, I found the DHF to be a lot worse. It's probably worth mentioning that both tyres weigh almost exactly the same. The difference is that where the DHF's weight comes from the metal wire, the RQ's weight comes from it having a lot more rubber which forms a protective layer. So although it's not difficult to pinch a RQ, I'd say it's pretty good for such a light tyre.

I agree with there being a lot of roll but the bounce is insanely good. Also recently after installing a Maxxis Freeride tube (300g) I've had no pinches at all on the RQ. Personally I think you'll get more protection from using a Rubber Queen and a thick inner tube then from a 200g heavier tyre but 200g lighter tube.

About the front tyre, I'm having more issues with it recently whereas if I do a big gap to front, the tyre will push into the rim. The only way to pull it out is to deflate.

Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone, I had looked at the Der Kaiser and also researched it on the forum to see the pros and cons, but at £50 it is a lot more than the RQ which I can buy from my local bike shop for £17, also this is my first stock build so I didn’t want to splash out tonnes of cash on one tyre.

Thanks Greetings for your review, think I may stick with my choice of getting the RQ now but pair it up with a tough downhill tube. I don’t suppose anyone knows of any problems of using this tyre on a FANS frame or will I have enough room for it? As for the front tyre, would using a downhill tube up front help with the pinch prevention and it getting stuck in the rim?

The RQ you're talking about isn't the one that everyone is referring to unless you've found somewhere that sells the £45 version for £17?!

Humm, I'm not sure then, I didn't know that there was more than one Continental Rubber Queen 2.4; I dont suppose you have a link to the £45 version so I can compare?

Edited by ForrestDump

The £17 one will be the non black chilli version. Less grippy, slightly heavier, but same carcass.

I see.... Would the non black chilli version still be ok? I didnt want to spend tonnes on tyres as i still have other parts to buy, and this is/ will be my first stock so the non black chilli version may be fine.