Chain Jumping/skipping

Pete.M

Photos would definitely help. Is it a single wheeled tensioner, or a double wheeled tensioner? If it's a single wheeled one then it's most likely to be a lack of chain-wrap around your rear sprocket, so when you get the power down it'll just jump over the teeth of your rear sprocket.

Photos would definitely help. Is it a single wheeled tensioner, or a double wheeled tensioner? If it's a single wheeled one then it's most likely to be a lack of chain-wrap around your rear sprocket, so when you get the power down it'll just jump over the teeth of your rear sprocket.

I can get pictures up tomorrow, but you could well be right there. I bought a double wheeled tensioner that is probably too long for my size of sprocket but it still provides half decent chain-wrap. I regret buying that tensioner, it was a bugger to fit in the first place.

Cheers.

IMAG0136.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture, too lazy to take my bike outside.

There certainly isn't an ideal amount of chain-wrap, and I clearly bought the wrong size of tensioner. What a dummy. >_<

Is the skipping going to cause damage? Because right now I think i'd rather continue like this than spend more money.

Cheers.

I had the same problem, the tensioner wasn't giving enough tension.

Interesting, mine is under a lot of tension at the moment but it might be worth a try.

i'm guessing your sprocket is a 16t if so then your tensioner is fine, like other's have mentioned you need to adjust the tensioner so there's more chain wrap and a bit more tension aswell, you may need to shorten your chain aswell.

i've edited your pic to show what i mean,

IMAG0136.jpg

as shown in the pic you want to have the arm as close to the drop out as possible while @ the same time pulling the pulley's near level with the arm aswell in order to increase the tension,

hope that helps and makes sense :D.

Cheers. That is what I thought needed doing. Only thing is I can't move the arm upwards because it has some restricting post thing. Is this something that other people have managed to remove?

Here it is:

IMG_0035.jpg

Edited by Pete.M

you'll want to remove the limiting pin (the one that stops the tensioner swinging past a certain point on the hanger) mole grips are your friend... then you can ride it up and have awesome tension...

you'll want to remove the limiting pin (the one that stops the tensioner swinging past a certain point on the hanger) mole grips are your friend... then you can ride it up and have awesome tension...

Cheers man, ill take some mole grips to it then.

No dont do that just take 2 links out of the chain, if you take the pin out the spring wont work.