Back Wheel Hopping

juzz80

Iv been trying now for over 4 weeks to try and get bike up on back wheel and hop but just cant do it :angry: .

I can get it up on back wheel with a kick of the pedal but cant stay up, iv got it up once about a week ago and managed 6 hops but nothing since. Please help me :( ..

cheers juz

I'm having similar difficulties. Stock by any chance?

Have you been practising back wheel hops by 'rocking' back before attempting pedalling up? It's so much easier to find the balance point that way.

However when I pedal-up I can't keep it at the balance point, slowly getting closer though.

I'm not sure if I should be trying to master the pedal-up or the pedal hop first? Because surely some pedal hopping skills would help to stay at the balance point once pedalling up? :huh:

Im on a mod bike, tried the rocking back and forth but couldnt do it. Find it easy to get bike up, its just tryung to find balance point. Iv found that when bike goes up if i lean back slightly and push bike away from me i seem to stay up for abit longer but i seem to lean to the right and fall off..

I just do a single very small endo then pull back onto the rear wheel, I find that the easiest way of getting and staying on the back wheel.

As for falling to one side, do you hold both brakes in or just hold the rear? Holding both may help?

I've only been riding a moth or two but finally got the hang of pedal upping and hopping. I found I was trying to do too much at once! Start off just hopping, 2-3 hops at a time and slowly gain more balance and increase the amount of hops. Rocking didnt work for me either so I piled up some wood in my garden, put the frontwheel on the wood (about 1.5 - 2feet high) and leant back did a hop or two and then rested the wheel on the wood again. Keep trying that and then do more and for longer etc... worked for me anyways :D

It sounds like you just don't pull back enough.

It might be worth trying pulling back until you come off the back a few times.

This is good because you learn how to bail off the back of the bike, and you get a sense of the balance point.

When you get the hang of pulling up and coming straight off, try pulling up a little slower, a little bit more gently, and hop when you get to the balance point, the point just before you would hop off.

When you do this, you'll find that you will backhop backwards quite a bit. When you can do that, you can work on tuning it so the hops are smaller and on the spot.

Hey mate,

It took me a very long time to get the hang of wheel hops. I think they are so hard because its the first time you have to really try balancing on the rear wheel. I'm not sure I can give any specific tips. But here is one of my videos from when I was learning. Maybe watching how I do it could help? Don't give up, you will get it soon.

Also, I don't recommend doing the endo to back wheel thing. It is helpful to start, but try not to make it a habit. Think of all the situations in the future where you won't be able to do that. Maybe just use it until you get a feel for where your balance should be on the back wheel, but then try another way.

I'd go against your recommendation.

The endo technique is good when you're starting off. The idea is to give you some extra momentum to play with whilst you're getting used to it. Later, you can do away with the endo and go for just pulling back.

I'd go against your recommendation.

The endo technique is good when you're starting off. The idea is to give you some extra momentum to play with whilst you're getting used to it. Later, you can do away with the endo and go for just pulling back.

Yeah, I found it was a useful technique to practice back wheel hops, then once you are fairly comfortable on the back wheel you gain the confidence to pull off proper pedal-ups.

It is helpful to start, but try not to make it a habit. Maybe just use it until you get a feel for where your balance should be on the back wheel, but then try another way.

The endo technique is good when you're starting off. Later, you can do away with the endo and go for just pulling back.

:blink:

You also put this. So actually altogether your post says "don't do it, but do it when you start"'which is a contradiction and doesn't make sense.

This is true, slightly. I'm just saying the endo method can turn into a bad habit that's all.

The endo thing isn't a bad thing at all, it's not like you would ever do that once you don't need to. It'd be like seeing someone Downhilling with stabilizers on, they needed them to learn and it turned into a bad habit so they just never took them off.... And it'd be about as embarassing.

I found that as soon as I got onto my back wheel I needed to start hopping, I could try and balance for a bit then start hopping because at first I rarely had enough time to do it. So as soon as you think you're at the point of balance start hopping straight away, even if you aren't balanced and just drop straight down. You've just gotta drill that shit over and over and over, you'll get it eventually. You'll get it once and then that's it, you'll start getting it more and more.

just been out for about half hour and tryed giving it another go. Iv been using the pedal to get the bike up and have had my good foot just infront of vertical, today i tryed it with my good foot between vertical and horizontal and it seems to go up better and i can stay stood on back wheel longer and even managed quite a few hops. The only thing now is the crank rachets back so got to get the timing right now with letting go of the back brake to put it back level. If i can il try get a video up so people can give me a few more hint...

:D

Good evening people, just a quick update. Havent been on bike for over a week and this morning i had to sort out the rear hub as the bearings had gone, took bike outside to try it out and first pedal up it went straight up on back wheel and managed to do around 10 hops pretty easy, and though out the day have manged to do quite a few so think iv nearly got it sussed. ganna give it a week or to then start on the pedal kicks...

cheers all

Good evening people, just a quick update. Havent been on bike for over a week and this morning i had to sort out the rear hub as the bearings had gone, took bike outside to try it out and first pedal up it went straight up on back wheel and managed to do around 10 hops pretty easy, and though out the day have manged to do quite a few so think iv nearly got it sussed. ganna give it a week or to then start on the pedal kicks...

cheers all

Sounds like you're well on your way to pedal kicks, it took me 2-3 months before I could do them without fail. Keep it up man! Once you get past pedal kicks everything else will seem much easier.

Sounds like you're well on your way to pedal kicks, it took me 2-3 months before I could do them without fail. Keep it up man! Once you get past pedal kicks everything else will seem much easier.

This better be true, because my shins cant take much more abuse. Nor my pride, ive never been this bad at something on a bike...

This better be true, because my shins cant take much more abuse. Nor my pride, ive never been this bad at something on a bike...

Practise an hour a day, everyday. And you'll have it in 8 weeks time maximum.

When I first practised, I rode rain or shine.