Heatsink Yellow Pads

Pepo09

Hi, I've bought a pair of Heatsink yellow pads and set them (echo sl rim, echo tr clamps,echo sl brake,medium grind zoo booster cut from 4 holes to 2 holes ) I've ridden them for a day and they didn't work nicely as everyone says the bite isn't great the hold is nice and there is no sound at all... everyone says that they are LOUD but mines just won't make a sound :( I like the loud honk gives me confidence. Maybe I need to wait until the bed in? or what? should I take the booster of although I'm afraid If I do so the frame might crack by the way the frame is a 09 zoo piranha. PLEASE COMMENT,I NEED HELP! :)

Hi, I've bought a pair of Heatsink yellow pads and set them (echo sl rim, echo tr clamps,echo sl brake,medium grind zoo booster cut from 4 holes to 2 holes ) I've ridden them for a day and they didn't work nicely as everyone says the bite isn't great the hold is nice and there is no sound at all... everyone says that they are LOUD but mines just won't make a sound :( I like the loud honk gives me confidence. Maybe I need to wait until the bed in? or what? should I take the booster of although I'm afraid If I do so the frame might crack by the way the frame is a 09 zoo piranha. PLEASE COMMENT,I NEED HELP! :)

I'd try the booster off, took mine off my last bike and the brake was actually better and louder, don't run a booster on my current bike, Pure 2011.

I recently just fitted some Heatsinks and they were noisy from the off, front more so, must admit the back took a little while longer to 'bed in'. Maybe there's some crap on ur rims, maybe try some disk cleaner (on rim), or some sort of alcohol based cleaning solvent, being careful not to get too much on the tyre. Could check the surface of the brake pad see if its dirty, if so clean. Other than that, there aint much u can do, maybe try them on another bike see if its jus ur bike. (Y)

If you're running a smooth rim, get all the crap off first by using petrol and a piece of cloth. Pour some petrol onto the cloth, then rub it down. Keep changing the piece of cloth you use when it gets dirty, so you don't spread the dirt.

If it's got CNC backing then make sure it's 100% square, and no more than 5mm away from the rim (I always have mine as close as possible without rubbing, and if it's more than 5mm away and it rubs, you need to true your wheel).

If it still doesn't hold/bite or make noise after all that, then grab some tar and put it on. Only put a little bit on, don't put so much on that the pads stay stuck to your rim.

If you want to get a grind, make sure it's a very light grind or the pads will wear away leaving a yellow dust trail behind you.

Good luck, hope that helped.

If you're running a smooth rim, get all the crap off first by using petrol and a piece of cloth. Pour some petrol onto the cloth, then rub it down. Keep changing the piece of cloth you use when it gets dirty, so you don't spread the dirt.

If it's got CNC backing then make sure it's 100% square, and no more than 5mm away from the rim (I always have mine as close as possible without rubbing, and if it's more than 5mm away and it rubs, you need to true your wheel).

If it still doesn't hold/bite or make noise after all that, then grab some tar and put it on. Only put a little bit on, don't put so much on that the pads stay stuck to your rim.

If you want to get a grind, make sure it's a very light grind or the pads will wear away leaving a yellow dust trail behind you.

Good luck, hope that helped.

Did you honestly read his post? :blink:

Dont use petrol to clean the rim, its oil based, you need a solvent based cleaner such as MEK.

Sounds as though you need to ditch the booster, the brake needs to be able to flex a little to allow the pads to bite well, you may lose a little hold but it shouldnt cause any problems. I had an echo 4 bolt booster when I first set up the triton (used a big booster because the frame is naturally flexy being ti) and the brake wouldnt bite or hold at all, swapped the booster for a small plate carbon one and the brake improved tenfold.

Take the booster off and leave it to bed in, my HSB yellows are very, very noisy, bite and hold are exceptional; the only time the brake performance suffers is when the grind dulls too much, in which case it starts to lose hold.

Dont use petrol to clean the rim, its oil based

Thats exactly what i thought :blink:

When i had my yellows they were good on some days then others they were exactly as you described - great hold, crap bite and no sound. Try them out for a few more days, you also might need to bed them in? Obviously if your pads arent square, do that first! :)

Edited by Kieran Morrison
  • Like 1

Ali speaks the truth! Hold is more important than bite if you had to lean for one.

-Clean the rim with some kind of degreaser: e.g. warm water with fairy liquid mixed, or if you want to spend money: some citrus degreaser from any bike store

-Re-setup the pads so they're 100% square. Tartybikes have a pretty good video guide on their site.

-If all else fails, just re-grind the rim carefully and rebleed the brake 'til there's no air bubbles anywhere in the line.

Usually a decent set of pads performing disappointingly is due to its surrounding parts as mentioned above. (Y)

^I'd go for these anyday over ditching a good booster

Hope this helps!

Thanks all. But the grind is new I have echo TR clamps so there isn't so much so set up although I think I could get it more square I am going to clean the pads give them some time to bed in and see how it goes a problem I have is that some streets on my way back home some streets aren't paved so dust will get on the rim I'm using thinner to clean the rim, Thanks for the advice I will try all this and tell you how it goes :D

Well just cleaned the pads and rim and took off the booster (won't the frame crack? its a zoo piranha 09) and now there is just a LOUD noise great bite and very nice hold :D although the pads are very soft or my grind is very hard (wich I don't think so) :D Thank you all.

Well just cleaned the pads and rim and took off the booster (won't the frame crack? its a zoo piranha 09) and now there is just a LOUD noise great bite and very nice hold :D although the pads are very soft or my grind is very hard (wich I don't think so) :D Thank you all.

I wouldnt worry too much about the frame cracking unless there is loads of flex about the chainstays, frame design has come a long way in recent years; if youre still concerned then have a look through pictures of other peoples 09 piranahs to see if theyre running a booster :)