Sub 5 Kilo Roadie

J.KYDD

Damn, beat me to it.

Would caps new front hub be lighter?

Comming from a trials point of view i dear say it could be lighter by drilling things, starting with the obvious like headtube, sidewalls, brake levers, topcap, BB shell, hub sleeves (or one better caps hub) However i dont know if you can drill carbon, but im sure it could be constructed from the factory with these modifications?

Edited by Laurence--Trials

Damn, beat me to it.

Comming from a trials point of view i dear say it could be lighter by drilling things, starting with the obvious like headtube, sidewalls, brake levers, topcap, BB shell, hub sleeves (or one better caps hub) However i dont know if you can drill carbon, but im sure it could be constructed from the factory with these modifications?

Pretty sure that in terms of stregnth/weight, you're better off making the tubes thinner before you start cutting holes in them.

Imagine if they did a brakeless fixie version...

yeah but things like headtube wont really effect it, surely?

It will if the tubes are already butted and super thin. It'll collapse.

To be fair I think they might have thought of holes, one of the bikes above would cost $45,000 to make again.

Damn, beat me to it.

Pretty sure that in terms of stregnth/weight, you're better off making the tubes thinner before you start cutting holes in them.

Imagine if they did a brakeless fixie version...

The main issue with drilling it is air flow and drag I'd imagine. Same reason people go for disc wheels rather than spoked, and the way people shape tubes to make them more aerodynamic. Holes = fail in that sense.