Bar Height

ForrestDump

Gu'Day Everyone.

Today while looking across my room at my bike I thought to myself whether a change in bar height would help progress my level of riding (lower or higher). As it stands I've got a Zoo! Lynx long frame with Echo Urban forks, on this I have a Try-All 3D stem (150mm x 30°) with V!Z Pro720 bars (88mm rise), oh, and beneath my stem I have 55mm of stackers so as you can imagine its a high front end (very high) on a mod but the other thing is that I'm 6ft3.

So, I would play around with the stackers but the stem has a sloping top cap which makes it less easy. Would lowering my bars at all, say to 30mm of stackers, help at all with progression? Whats the pro's and con's of having a high front end/low front end.

Thanks,

James.

I've been told that in general, a bike with a high BB needs a higher front end than a bike with a low BB.

I've found that bikes with a higher front end lift easier, but aren't as stable on the rear wheel. And bikes with a lower front end are slightly more stable on the rear wheel but they're harder to lift.

Just my personal experience, hope it helped.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

I think the only way I'll be able to test this is by removing a spacer at a time, I also switched (by chance) to a high front end when I bought my Lynx frame and loved the feel of it but I've never tried the heights in-between. I didn't know wether having a high front end would effect the height that I could progress to (with side hops for example). Im very into street moves which I understand that having a high front end is better for but that doesn't mean I don't like doing all the 'TGS' stuff, just want to find a set up thats sort of best for both.....

Thanks again, keep the replies coming (Y) haha.

when i went to stock from mod 3 years ago i started off with a stupidly low stem and zoo bars, and every time i lifted my front end it made my bike so much nicer to ride and everything felt easier, im running a mod stem on there at the moment lol, yours does sound quite high though i'd just leave it as is (Y)

Got any pictures of the setup? I'd like to see quite how high it is, 5cm of stackers does sound quite a lot...

But yeah it's probably best to move the stem down one at a time and see what you prefer.

Well my bike isn't all together at the moment best thing I can suggest is to measure out 55mm on a ruler and look at that, same thing in the end haha, think I will have a play about with the stackers on at a time. Thing is I do love the feel with the bars high, I just don't like all the stackers haha, and I wasn't sure if there was a reason for loads of riders having a low front end.

On my 06 Python I started with 50mm of stackers, a trialtech stem and some 09 Rage bars which felt good at the time but it was the first mod I'd built.

After looking at it seriously I took one of the 25mm stackers off and it rode so much better after, and I'm 6'3".

Can find some pics if you want?

On my 06 Python I started with 50mm of stackers, a trialtech stem and some 09 Rage bars which felt good at the time but it was the first mod I'd built.

After looking at it seriously I took one of the 25mm stackers off and it rode so much better after, and I'm 6'3".

Can find some pics if you want?

Cheers mate, I can probably do without the pictures but thanks for the offer, I found riding my mates stock which had a low front end it felt really nice on the rear but not so good with both wheels on the ground rolling about. The only way I'm going to solve this problem is to mess around with the stackers I think and just see how it goes, what trial tech stem did you have? the one with the highest rise?

Cheers everyone for the help and advice.