Hope Hed Doctor

F.N.G

Have you never tried a king?

yeah, wasn't that keen. the system they use(ed) to preload the top bearing just plain wasn't as good as a split race system that most other companies use. The O-ring was a b*****d to get over some forks and would still allow slight movement unless really cranked up tight.

Kings are good but you have to admit they're really rather overpriced. Operationally the King offers nothing that a £25 FSA headset offers from my experience. I have run a CK in the past (part of an insurance claim) and it was fine but I'd never buy one with my own hard earned!

I know kings are around the £120 for retail. I bought mine in red 5-6 years ago 2nd hand which is in packaging condition of a good friend who imported them from the states(before the dollar to pound rate became crazy). I find the sealed bearing design of the king very good. Its also very easy to set/tweek up when your adjusting your steering. Where as non sealed bearing headsets and other branded ones i found they were a ball ache to set up. The tensile ace is based on a chris king same design and internals... Just half the price and it only comes in black with a carbon top cap. Where as kings come in loads of sexy colour.. Mango and rasta are the best ones!

I had on on my old steel forks. Never had a problem with it. People snapping the bolt are installing it wrong. I took apart the wedge that sits inside the steerer tube, greased it (not the outside of the wedge that comes into contact with the inside of the steerer tube), put it all back together and installed it. Never had to tighten it again.

Just ordered one this morning for the forks on my new bike too actually.