Hope Hed Doctor

F.N.G

Will only fit standard 1.1/8" steerer tubes with thin tube walls, so rules it out on Trials forks that use a ticker wall on the steerer tube,

Designed to fit forks such as the Rockshox Tora SLs and any other mtb with a standard steerer.

I'm guessing it wont Fit into Echo urbans 09 20" then? because they are cut down

So if I buy Hope conventional headset the headset should fit the frame?, so there is no need for the hed doctor?

Edited by F.N.G

I'm guessing it wont Fit into Echo urbans 09 20" then? because they are cut down

So if I buy Hope conventional headset the headset should fit the frame?, so there is no need for the hed doctor?

nah the echo steerer is way too small, the bolts are made of cheese and snap easy, whack a starnut in much better!

nah the echo steerer is way too small, the bolts are made of cheese and snap easy, whack a starnut in much better!

Just read some of the Comments reviews, And this sounds a wise idea.

Edited by F.N.G

Or run an equally bomb proof hope headset for a lower price and run a star nut and steel bolt combo?

The shaping of the bolts head on the hope head doctor/top caps are completely different to other standard ones. Due to the hope bolt sitting in a groove.

My words:

KING KING KING KING KING KING KING..... Forgot to mention... KING! cool.gif

Edited by Andeee

The shaping of the bolts head on the hope head doctor/top caps are completely different to other standard ones.

Then run an aftermarket topcap. Still works out cheaper than a King.

Besides, the bolts and topcap are only countersunk M6 bolts. Easily attainable at any hardware store.

My neon headset is designed for a countersunk bolt and Im running a standard M6 with no problems.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Then run an aftermarket topcap. Still works out cheaper than a King.

Besides, the bolts and topcap are only countersunk M6 bolts. Easily attainable at any hardware store.

My neon headset is designed for a countersunk bolt and Im running a standard M6 with no problems.

This is the bolt they run on which is completely different to your average countersunk bolt. As you can see it goes down in 3 tiers for it to sit in the groove of the top cap. Is it even possible to get a steel bolt like the ones hope use unless your good with a lathe machine

post-11393-0-30878000-1320094994_thumb.j

This is the bolt they run on which is completely different to your average countersunk bolt. As you can see it goes down in 3 tiers for it to sit in the groove of the top cap. Is it even possible to get a steel bolt like the ones hope use unless your good with a lathe machine

That is a bit on the 'special' side!

From having a look at the hope top cap, you would be able to run a standard cap head if you put washers underneath it, i think anyways, dont really see the need for the steps :S.

Btw, never had any experience with them, but at the end of the day, how often do you replace your starnut? Mine hasn't seen light for atleast a year now.

Cheers,

Josh.

I wouldn't want to dare try a bodge job on anything hope.

Wouldnt call it a bodge, just a bolt with washers, pretty much everyday practice.

It wouldnt harm it at all, still doing the same job as the first step on the hope bolt :).

Cheers,

Josh.

EDIT-

Also, if you just wanted the head doctor for it's advantage in ease of usage and removal, why not just use a standard top cap? Maybe drilled out and counterbored to suit an 8mm if im right in thinking that this is what they are?

"nd EDIT- Which i have just seen that they are not :P so you should be able to use a standard top cap :)

Edited by Rob Leech

my hope headset is going on 2 years old now. I don' use the Head dr just because I have the Inspired topcap, but I have used it before and it worked fine, never snapped the alloy bolt either. I do agree with Mark though, pimp Ti Trialtech topcap and alloy bolt is the way to go!

my hope headset is going on 2 years old now. I don' use the Head dr just because I have the Inspired topcap, but I have used it before and it worked fine, never snapped the alloy bolt either. I do agree with Mark though, pimp Ti Trialtech topcap and alloy bolt is the way to go!

Have you never tried a king?

Have you never tried a king?

Kings are good but you have to admit they're really rather overpriced. Operationally the King offers nothing that a £25 FSA headset offers from my experience. I have run a CK in the past (part of an insurance claim) and it was fine but I'd never buy one with my own hard earned!