Bike Mods

D Rock 45

Hey

I did think this through its not just post it up and not come back to it.

Has anyone has took a hack saw or angle grinder to there bike an removed small part's of the bike, not just cutting it of an leaving it like that but taking your time planing how your going about it. An knowing its past its warraty before you go ahead.

For example some frames, there's maggy mounts and disc mount's on some of then and you have never used a disc on the back, so you romove it. The same with fork's i swaped from maggys to disc, never used the rim mounts again.

It can't be no different to a paint respray or rawing parts, it's still a personal mod not factory look to make it unique.

This is what i would like to do an plan it out, not to lighten it but to make it look better as said above "unique".

I have echo forks and dont like the tabs for the mount's after seeing my mate's disc only one's, but dont want to spash out on a new pair.

Running a bash plate and bash ring on my onza blade, planing to remove the mounts for the bash plate. Just using the bash ring, not as aid to get up stuff.

Am sure i read on hear quite a wile back about removing walls in rims to make them single walled, but thats is to do with saving weight.

So my questions to you is have you done this before, know of anyone who has modded there bike

mabey found a engineering place who are willing to do a professional job free of charge or for a small amount.

last point and most importantly will it affect the strengh aslong as you do a good job of it

If posible post some pictures up as i am intrested to see if it as been done an how it looks

Dieter

Edited by D Rock 45

I like how you have made the holes in the frount of you frame looks great, also the square then circle in your rims.

Getting a new back rim soon so i will be taking the innr wall out of it, if it goes well i will do it to the front. should i just cut right to the edge or not

When you removed you bash plate mounts, did you leave the hole or cover it back up. how did you remove the hole thing i was planning to just take the barrel bit of an leave the small plate bit on.

I will take some picture to show you what am removing.

Then could you let me know how to remove each bit or its it as simple as marking it up an taking small bits of at a time.

Thanks for your reply

Ye Alex knows his stuff when it comes to shaving metal! ha

Only think i have done really is file out my circle holes in my try-all rim to square holes... simple process and you loose more weight then you think, it's just very tedious and oyu have to be patient if you want to do it well ha

Reckon a good sharp file would be worth a try. Might take a bit longer than a grinder but you'll have more control that way and probably get a better finish.

Make sure you put a good layer of chalk on the file before you start and it'll help stop it getting clogged. Always makes it easier when filing anything made of aluminium.

Edited by Chris Borneo

Bit of work with a file and some emery cloth and you could get those really smooth.

This is the fork from my road bike where i removed the brake bosses. On the right is just after filing with a second cut file and on the left is after a bit of work with some emery cloth.

bikes-002.jpg

I only polished it to this extent as I was getting it clear coated and didn't want any marks to be visible after shot blasting. If you were getting it powder coated a colour, you wouldn't have to be so thorough.

pompetamine-frame-and-fork-clear-coat-001.jpg

This is the frame and fork when it came back from the powder coaters. I don't have a close up of the fork but you can see it came out alright.

• 2 weeks later...

i cant seem to find the thread i thought was on here about drilling rims is there anyone who can advise on how to do it im looking to try it on an old wheel so i can have a go following the wheel building guide on here aswell as making my own drilled rim hopefully a win win situation but i can see me running headlong into a big mess without some sort of guidance