I Started Dj'ing Last September. Here Are My Latest Mixes

PavSWTC

I've been into Drum & Bass and other electronic music for some years now. I finally decided to start learning to DJ in September, since then I have made some mixes. If you're into Drum & Bass and Dubstep I'm confident you'lll enjoy them (especially while driving or riding!), I am constantly looking for ways to improve with future mixes so your feedback would be great.

If you like what you hear, show me some support and give my Facebook page a like. Eventually I would like to start playing at venues and I'm starting to learn the ropes of music production. Phaction Your support would mean a lot :)

Edit: Latest mixes added

Phaction - Elements Volume 2

Phaction - Chillstep Mix Volume 2

Phaction - Fred V & Grafix Special Dedication Mix

Phaction - Elements Volume 1

Phaction - Official Winter Mix

Phaction - ChillStep Mix Vol.1

Phaction - Official October Mix

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by PavSWTC

Really tight mixing. I started about 2 years ago and it's nowhere near as tight as those. That said I don't get much time to mix.

Very nice. Downloaded all of them.

EDIT. I'm in Bristol. If you ever get a venue, I'd love to come along and support!

Edited by King C

Love the first one, thats been fav'd and downloaded!

:D

Really tight mixing. I started about 2 years ago and it's nowhere near as tight as those. That said I don't get much time to mix.

Very nice. Downloaded all of them.

EDIT. I'm in Bristol. If you ever get a venue, I'd love to come along and support!

Thanks man, I've still got a lot of learning and practice to do but that's my goal eventually, to do some sets on nights like Wobble @ Thekla, Substance @ B45, Bunker nights etc. One day maybe!

Must say, I've never been one for dubstep.. But your first mix is really good, not too heavy or overpowering. Keep it up :) Will listen to the others when I get time

Nice one mate, glad you enjoyed them. I have a new special dedication mix to upload soon, dedicated to two Liquid Drum & Bass Artists called Fred V & Grafix, if you're into that style watch this space.

What decks do you use?

I'm using a Pioneer DDJ-T1 Controller and Traktor 2 Pro at the moment. Not long ago I started to practice my sets without the visual aids of Traktor (simulating a cdj setup), was tricky at first (especially with double drops) but I'm getting used to it. I don't have enough money to get a mixer and cdjs atm, but I want to be able to work on them proficiently in order to eventually do sets in clubs. Do you DJ too?

Thanks man, I've still got a lot of learning and practice to do but that's my goal eventually, to do some sets on nights like Wobble @ Thekla, Substance @ B45, Bunker nights etc. One day maybe!

Work there, not listened yet but will, I'll try and get you a way to contact the promoter if your really interested?

I'm using a Pioneer DDJ-T1 Controller and Traktor 2 Pro at the moment. Not long ago I started to practice my sets without the visual aids of Traktor (simulating a cdj setup), was tricky at first (especially with double drops) but I'm getting used to it. I don't have enough money to get a mixer and cdjs atm, but I want to be able to work on them proficiently in order to eventually do sets in clubs. Do you DJ too?

That explains why the mixing is tight then. Computer mixing is easy, too easy.

And yeah, I'm a DJ too - have been for 11 years now :)

Started out on nasty 19" rackmount CD players, then on to Vestax turntables, then Denon DNS1000's, then Pioneer CDJ800 MkII's and now a Pioneer Ergo DDJ. Personally I'm not a fan of the Ergo, or any PC based mixing - it feels shit and really isn't as much fun.

I suppose everyone has a different opinion, but I really don't like it as much. So why did I go for the Ergo?

£449 vs £1500 for a decent CDJ setup.

That explains why the mixing is tight then. Computer mixing is easy, too easy.

And yeah, I'm a DJ too - have been for 11 years now :)

Started out on nasty 19" rackmount CD players, then on to Vestax turntables, then Denon DNS1000's, then Pioneer CDJ800 MkII's and now a Pioneer Ergo DDJ. Personally I'm not a fan of the Ergo, or any PC based mixing - it feels shit and really isn't as much fun.

I suppose everyone has a different opinion, but I really don't like it as much. So why did I go for the Ergo?

£449 vs £1500 for a decent CDJ setup.

Nice one man, I agree only partially with that. I think you're right in a sense that having to beatmatch without visual aids brings more of a challenge to mixing, which in turn could be considered more fun. However, using Traktor and my controller which can use up to 4 channels simultaneously along with being able to see the waveforms of each track can allow me to create far more complex and exciting mixes as well as letting me concentrate more on EQ'ing, which results in a better sounding mix imo. I agree on the price thing though, who can afford to shell out £1500 for a nice cdj setup these days? Especially when you're just starting out. Having been practising mixing for only 5-6 months, I still can't justify spending that much to get one, especially when my current controller and software allow me to do everything I need. Except in a club, you often need to be able to do a set on a pair of cdjs.

There lies the current problem for me, the only way I can get round it is by practising my sets without 3 channels (as most clubs don't have 3 cdjs in their booths) and doing them without seeing the full waveforms and bpm/beatmatching tracks manually and by ear. Like I said above its tricky, but I'm getting the hang of it. Its an exciting challenge and I'm gonna keep practising till I've got it down.

Having said this, more and more artists are using software interfaces for DJ'ing, Andy C uses Traktor with timecoded Vinyl, his sets are just nuts! Artists like Netsky use Serato software linked with Vinyl or CDJs. It appears to be the future of DJ'ing, not necessarily because its an easy or 'lazy' option, but because it allows people to make better sounding mixes, which provides the audience a better time on the night! Andy C would not likely be able to do his crazy sets (especially on his new Alive Tour) without such hardware and software aids. I also believe that mixing is more than just about beat-matching a variety of tracks together. I spend hours finding tracks that go together, and more time still looking for the best in and out points for each track. Its certainly not 'easy' in my eyes hehe, if I had been doing it for over 10 years I would probably have a different viewpoint on it.

I checked out your soundcloud, liking your version of 'Hello'! Def check more of them out later. :)

Work there, not listened yet but will, I'll try and get you a way to contact the promoter if your really interested?

That would be great man, even just to see how they work things over there, what kit they use and what they would expect of me. Thanks :)

Edited by PavSWTC

Here is my latest mix, dedicated to two very talented producers of Liquid Drum & Bass. I decided to turn the Key-lock off on this one (Its supposed to improve the sound quality somewhat).You may hear some pitch-bending going on here and there, hope you enjoy it. :)

Phaction - Fred V & Grafix Special Dedication Mix

Edited by PavSWTC

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...