Disk Brake Honking

forteh

I've got a 185 hope mini (original 2 piece calliper) on the front of my chameleon, its been honking under heavy load of late and its a bit annoying. I've swapped the pads with the rear mini (which doesn't honk, just the normal mild squeal) and it made no difference; cleaned the rotor with surgical spirit and burnt the pads off and still honking. Its not the sound of a contaminated disk, more of a resonant vibration.

Its also lacking a bit of power although this might be because I haven't been giving it any beans (due to the noise) and the pads may have glazed slightly. The pads are old, about 8 years and in the past have been contaminated so I know they will never be 100% perfect but the noise is annoying.

I noticed this morning that the front disk is mounted in reverse to the rear, the spokes are leading into the calliper whereas the rear are trailing into it, I've always been told to have them trailing in the past (no idea why I put the front leading though :huh: ) I will swap the disk round to match the rear to see if it helps, in the mean time can anyone offer any other suggestions?

Sounds to me like they're contaminated, i've only ever heard of brakes squeeling/honking from contamination, have you checked the caliper for leaks?

Its not leaking and it isn't a contaminated pad honk, you can feel the vibrations buzzing through the bars as well.

Are you sure that the caliper is set up correctly?

You might need to remove/add a spacer so that the disc passes through the middle of the pads.

Its as central as I can get it, rotor spins free and doesn't drag at all. Could be the pads are just beyond saving/use I guess, but when switching them over to the back they work fine :S

How much material is there on the pads? you could have reached the metal? Just a guess..

Shed loads of material left so that rules that out. Another possibility is that the calliper mount on the forks is a bolt on, marzocchi decided to have a separate bolt on adaptor on the 2001 z3qr20 forks for some reason; its still tight though and this issue is only recent.

Pretty sure the rotor is tight and the screws are thread locked so shouldn't be loose, I'm going to try reversing the rotor tonight and see if that helps, Ill also deglaze the pads and rotor while I'm at it :)

Hopefully it will start working a bit better as well once I've bedded it in again.

the superstar gold pads are semi metalic pads.

a quick break down of brake pad material pros n cons:

semi metalic

pros: great ware rate. (due to its harder compund)

better heat handling as the metalic compound takes heat into the caliper and produces less friction.

cons: less braking power

only works well under high tempratures (they often glaze over at low temps)

organic

pros: soft compound gives good brake performance

will still cut a the pad surface at low temperatures (will not glaze easily)

cons: poor ware rate

poor heat handling

basicly trials is best with organic pads.

dh or xc is best using semi metalic.

My XC's bike's disks used to honk like mad, but only ever in cold mornings. which i found strange. I felt it go through the whole bike and sounded like a less annoying HS33 squeal.

Changed disk to Rockman ones and it stopped.

Moral of my story.

Try changing rotors, might help?

the superstar gold pads are semi metalic pads.

a quick break down of brake pad material pros n cons:

...stuff

I know, that's why i recommended the golds, given that i know mr Forteh isn't an idiot I figured he'd see the reasons why the golds would be a good choice on his non-trials bike.

I know, that's why i recommended the golds, given that i know mr Forteh isn't an idiot I figured he'd see the reasons why the golds would be a good choice on his non-trials bike.

That's yet to be proved ;)

If I do plump for fresh pads Ill look into them on your recommendation. I've not had a chance to swap the rotor over yet due to drunken weekend away but I did give it a couple of very harsh stops and it seems to have stopped some of the noise, perhaps got some of the glaze off :)

have you tried setting the caliper 'off square'

so its not hitting perfectly straight?

Wouldn't that make it feel mushy as hell though? :(