Power Coaters In Cornwall/mtb Cranks Choice

Martin Reynolds

Im looking to re-vamp my Cannondale Jekyll ready for the summer. Two questions really:

1. Anyone know of any decent power coaters in cornwall? The person before me raw'd the frame, but i'd like to give it some colour :) I'd be happy to post outside of cornwall if needs be.

2. Its got shimano deore cranks with a hollowtech bb, and the bb bearings are rough as and the chain rings are worn to death. I have a Truvativ Giga Pipe BB i wanna fit, and wondering whats a decent 2 ring isis crank set to go for? Something like this? Octane One

Cheers

2. Its got shimano deore cranks with a hollowtech bb, and the bb bearings are rough as and the chain rings are worn to death. I have a Truvativ Giga Pipe BB i wanna fit, and wondering whats a decent 2 ring isis crank set to go for? Something like this? Octane One

Cheers

Stick with the Hollowtech 2 system, it rules!

I expect you could get a new BB and chain rings for less than the cost of that crank set. Alternatively for not much more you should be able to get a complete Hollowtech 2 crank set including cranks, BB and chain rings.

Stick with the Hollowtech 2 system, it rules!

I expect you could get a new BB and chain rings for less than the cost of that crank set. Alternatively for not much more you should be able to get a complete Hollowtech 2 crank set including cranks, BB and chain rings.

The outer chain ring is like £30 alone. with that, and £15 for the middle and the price of a bottom bracket, works out the same/slightly dearer than buying a new crank set. And i know the Truvativ is a decent bb.

The outer chain ring is like £30 alone. with that, and £15 for the middle and the price of a bottom bracket, works out the same/slightly dearer than buying a new crank set. And i know the Truvativ is a decent bb.

Even if they don't work out cheaper I'd stick with the Shimanos, they really are great cranks. Assuming we're talking about the hollowtech II's (external bottom bracket).

Truvativ is shit, I would have Shimano ANY day. Truvativ Bb's are the biggest load of bollocks ever, if you would like me to get into the explanation of why then I happily will. But one of the major points is they are only sealed on one side.

Shimano rings are simply the best, I know some people get on their high horse over Shimano's monopoly and their high prices but you just can't beat them. And trust me, i know :lol:

If you can't afford Shimano rings, you don't deserve to be riding a Jekyll.

My vote for Shimano -

285579_10150367084575130_709735129_10233900_8362234_n.jpg

Edited by Pashley26

Truvativ is shit, I would have Shimano ANY day. Truvativ Bb's are the biggest load of bollocks ever, if you would like me to get into the explanation of why then I happily will. But one of the major points is they are only sealed on one side.

Shimano rings are simply the best, I know some people get on their high horse over Shimano's monopoly and their high prices but you just can't beat them. And trust me, i know :lol:

If you can't afford Shimano rings, you don't deserve to be riding a Jekyll.

My vote for Shimano -

Lush Cannondale :)

Its not that i cant afford Shimano rings, im just trying not to throw loads of money at the bike. Think i'll stick with Hollowtech under everyones advice and just buy a chainset. Either of these any good?

Pashley26, you using the SLX on urs?

This

Or This

The SLX are worth the extra if you can afford/justify it. I've got Hones, which are basically the older version of SLX, and they're spot on, lasted years and a fair bit of pretty heavy riding and there's no sign of the dying yet.

Edited by RobinJI

I have a mix of SLX and XT, SLX cranks with some Raceface arm boots, BlackSpire bash and XT rings, SRAM PC1091 chain and XT rear mech, with XT shifters and cheapy clarks cables.

My cranks take a hammering, no point in putting XT on it just to watch it get battered.

I would stick the full SLX and an XT rear mech if I wanted a fun, bashable bike and couldn't afford to replace XT.

I one did a rear mech, a shifter, an outer ring, a brake lever and a set of bars in a week over three rides.

Then my hubs filled with water, my Hope seat post cracked and one of my grips slipped off and I destroyed a few of my friends when I endo'd at the front of a pack and took out 7 bikes the next week.

But when you work at a Concept Store and buy everything at trade it doesnt matter lol. We used to get paid to just ride nice bikes and be social guys, working our way into a circle of friends and upselling them lol.

Edited by Pashley26