Best Way To Find A Small Leak In Magura Hs33.

Rowlly21

Hello all

Recently got by bike back up together and started riding abit.

But after I had rode the bike i would put it in the shed over night to find that the lever had pulled in further than the previous day.

So i bled it again to only find it did the same thing again.

I assume i have a leak, I cant see any sign of it leaking so i am looking for the best way to diagnose the leak

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Andy

Plug an open syringe into the lever with a bleed hose, half-fill the syringe with water, move the lever so the air can escape, pull the lever a few times, air will come out.

Won't be a leak, no. If you want to see why, half-fill a syringe with water, put your finger over the end of the syringe and pull the plunger upwards. See all that air? That's what's in your brake! It only becomes apparent once you have used the brake, which is why it feels fine immediately after bleeding, but weird after you've ridden it for a bit.

• Like 2

Plug an open syringe into the lever with a bleed hose, half-fill the syringe with water, move the lever so the air can escape, pull the lever a few times, air will come out.

Won't be a leak, no. If you want to see why, half-fill a syringe with water, put your finger over the end of the syringe and pull the plunger upwards. See all that air? That's what's in your brake! It only becomes apparent once you have used the brake, which is why it feels fine immediately after bleeding, but weird after you've ridden it for a bit.

Holy shit! Just done this, brake is the best it has ever been. Pull the brake in a tiny bit and the pads move so much now!! Thanks for that Adam.

But how come this is the first i've heard of this?!

But the hydraulic system is supposed to be close, I don't see why, and where does the air come.

From the water, its how fish breathe ;) Proper brake fluids don't do this as much.

No worries Dan. Just haven't mentioned it before.

There's something I really don't understand :blink:

The volume of the brake is always the same. If the water, with a correct bleed, fill all this volum, there is no air in the system.

So if after a period there is air in the system, it results that some water escape (= it leaks a bit)

What's wrong with that ?

A video of this on the tarty site would be great, i can't really understand how do do this.

• Like 3

If the water, with a correct bleed, fill all this volum, there is no air in the system.

Try pulling on the syringe as I said, that's the easiest way to explain it :)

Video - I don't really see how it can't be understood from the text, but it will go on the list (which may take a few more years until we start to think about making more videos unfortunately, everyday stuff gets in the way).

Try pulling on the syringe as I said, that's the easiest way to explain it :)

I tried : it creates lot of mini bubbles wich grows up when I pull the piston. But when I release the piston (to its initial place), bubbles become again very very small.

But in use we push then pull on the brake's piston, so I don't see why it creates more air.

It doesn't create more air, but the pressure releases the air from the water. So, your brake feels fine to start, then after a ride the air has come out of the water and risen up to the lever, so it feels like your brake has leaked.

• 2 weeks later...