Carbon Fibre Assembly Compound

Kieran Morrison

Yes. You need to use "Fiber Grip" or something along those lines. It basically is a grease which increases friction on the bar. It means a lower torque can be used to clamp the bar down, reducing the chances of crushing the bar and yet still giving good hold on the bar. I certainly wouldn't use a bar without it as it is either going to slip or crush otherwise!

Yes. You need to use "Fiber Grip" or something along those lines. It basically is a grease which increases friction on the bar. It means a lower torque can be used to clamp the bar down, reducing the chances of crushing the bar and yet still giving good hold on the bar. I certainly wouldn't use a bar without it as it is either going to slip or crush otherwise!

The try alls have a textured area where the stem clamps though, does this act as assembly compound or is it still a good idea to use it?

It's better to be safe than sorry if I were you with a £100 set of bars I'd get the compound stuff for the amount of benefits you will receive. Not sure if this is correct but if your bars do slip it could damage the carbon itself unlike alloy bars where you just reposition them you may have damaged them beyond repair. And the comment about crushing the carbon that's unlikely as you will know as you will be needing to be putting a lot of pressure through your tool/bolt with little movement in the clamp. But with the leverage you get on an Allen key you could cause unseen damage to the carbon underneath as mentioned by someone else the compound will reduce this as you won't need to tighten them as much.

I've run Try-All carbons for over 2 years with no assembly compound. They are neither crushed nor have they ever slipped.

However, for the sake of a couple of ££ you could put some in if it'd put your mind at ease.

You won't be 'throwing away' any money regardless.

I've run Carbon bars for almsot 2 years now and never used any such fiber grip and never experienced any issues.

I'd say that of the 6-7 riders I know that run the Try-All carbons/Rockman Carbons none of us have used anything - don't worry, they are strong as f**k.

The only reason you have to be 'scared' of no warranty is if you're a complete tool and over tighten the stem

• Like 5

Yeah in all fairness the lack of warranty doesn't stop them from being good bars. They used to be a generic construct like Rockman/Bonz/Born which seem to hold up really well (had mine for 2 years now), I think the new ones are updated with a different fibre pattern, much like Trialtechs or the Karbon forks. Even if they did come with a warranty, you probably wouldn't snap them before it expired.

Edited by Greetings

I think I'll be fine using none of this assembly compound stuff, not really someone who goes mental with an allen key and over tightens everything so think it should be fine.

Thanks for the help :)

Edit: assuming all who said they have run the bars for years with no assembly compound are using 4-bolt stem clamps?

Edited by Kieran Morrison