Bike Diet.

williams

Yo! So I wan't to trim my bike weight down a tad as cheap as possible. I know tyres and wheels is a good place to start, but since I get my maxxis creepy crawlers for free from sponsorship I think it's unnecessary to pay for new tyres. And I have 3 sets too... So can I maybe modify the tyres (front and rear) and save some weight tyres wise?

And is there somewhere else I can easy and cheap shed some weight of? Cheers!

Current weight is: 9,5 kg!

Though I share a pic so it's easier to know what I'm talking about:)

post-30858-0-72936000-1347204503_thumb.j

Edited by williams

Those cranks are fairly beefy, drill them.

You arn't using your bash plate mounts, cut them off.

Drill your bottom bracket shell.

Drill your stem.

Loose the spacer and excess fork steerer you dont need.

You're duel disc, dril your sidewalls, and single wall, enlargen any drills you have.

Enlargen your headtube drill

Strip your frame.

Loose the chainstay protector on the fork

remove your seat. oh wait.

Pics of my bike, for inspiration:

482059_504569369559772_2044164254_n.jpg

557141_504569322893110_654587768_n.jpg

309461_504376439579065_612850484_n.jpg

309461_504376439579065_612850484_n.jpg

260011_525258424157533_1426186310_n.jpg

• Like 1

The bottom bracket i saved a decent amount, i dont have a picture of that though. total maybe comming up to 150ish grams? i did my front rim too thats included in that weight.

There was a thread in bike pictures about this where the guy had done pretty much everything possible. I think it was called new Zealand pure. It had loads of pics too.

Link? i couldn't find it.

I too am on a mission to make my bike lighter.

Im going with:

Ti Bolts, everywhere

Try-All Carbon Bars

Try-All Superlight pedals.

Frame wise, Im cutting out the back of the BB shell, and the underside.

Also possibly enlargening the headtube opening.

The joys of open use to the schools router and lathe ;)

Try using a stanley or modeling knife to cut off every second nob and smooth it down with a file , can even make the tyre more grippy and bouncy:)

Yeah that was my thought too:) But do you know how much I would save front and rear? :)

Ti bolts on everything you can.

hmm, how much would that save?

Ti BB.

Thinking of it:)

Lighter cranks - Try All Expert/Rockman

haha that's the cranks i have...

SL forks, although I wouldn't.

Nooo, my urban is enough:)

Stickers/Paintwork.

stickers might be like 10g:) And I don't know about stripping it..

Carbon bars.

Don't have the money for it really:)

Sell all the Maxxis tyres you get, any other free stuff you get :P Then buy a pair of the new Montys?

Only have like one friend to sell them to, and he already have brand new tyres (bought from me :shifty: ) Good idea though:)

So I thought I'd gave you my ansvers under your tips:)

Edited by williams

Stop wasting your time and ride! it will make next to know difference to that bike what so ever.

hmmm... Wasting my time...? My bike doesn't even have a back brake since it started to leak and I'm not going to ride without one. And if I could shed like 500-700 grams of the bike, which I can, it would make a big difference. And you know it.

You improve more having a shed because your more happy to throw it at things without caring about scratching it.

Shedding a few grams only really helps when your at the top of your game and cant improve your technique.

I'm not thinking of shedding of like 10grams, If i change to Try-all tyres front and rear I would save like 500 grams which is pretty much imo. That was just an example.

That was my main reason I wanted to try to mod my tyres.

If you have 3 sets of new tyres.. Sell them and get a try all rear and small block 8 front. Then lighter tubes.

As for drilling.. Dont bother. The amount of weight you save doesnt outweigh the strength you will lose in the frame.

In laurences case, ive seen his bike in person.. And for anyone wondering.. Yes it looks absoloutly shocking imo, Was a nice frame before.. No offence laurence hhaha.

More decent parts is the only way to lose weight really. Home modifications are mostly a waste of time.

Also... Your cranks are heavy as fook. And if you had maguras and non disc hubs thats alot of weight saved. But thats gonna cost.

An i cant see properly but your frame dont look like it has 4 bolt mounts.

hmmm... Wasting my time...? My bike doesn't even have a back brake since it started to leak and I'm not going to ride without one. And if I could shed like 500-700 grams of the bike, which I can, it would make a big difference. And you know it.

then spend time fixing your brake instead of drilling holes in your frame? 500-700 grams will 100% make no difference to your riding, and i know it.

cutting nobbles off your tyres will not help you hop higher, saving 500 grams off the front will not make you gap further. Until you're almost at the top of your game weight will make no difference what so ever

It does actually..... I cant ride heavy bikes for shite now.

Thats why I love my Echo, with it being significantly lighter than my past bikes. I can ride it miles better.

AND Im far from the top of my game.

Edited by Echo Lite 09
  • Like 2

^ doyou actually beleive that? (@ liam n) Tie a 2kg weight to your frame and go for a ride...

Saving half a kilo wont improve your technique, but it will damn sure make it easier to get right.

If weight didnt mater then why would companies make lighter parts? Why get carbon bars and superlight pedals when you could bang on cast iron forks and 3kgs worth of tyres?

Duh

But saving like 200g ... Thats doing literally nothing i agree, it has to be a sizeable weight saved.

Edited by Carlperkins
  • Like 3