Helicoils

the mysterious leemur

any chance of a link to a set, including tools?

cant find one on the bay

There's loads of them, just search for M5 helicoil kit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC1.A0.Xm5+helicoil+kit&_nkw=m5+helicoil+kit&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Ive no experience of them on bikes but on cars , with the exeption of sparkplugs, helicoils always fail on the second use, or when the bolt is on the way out. Ive probably seen 50 or so examples of this. Im sure not every mechanic who has fitted them was a numpty.

That's weird, some parts on my car are helicoiled from the manufacturer (uprights and brake calipers) and they haven't come out, even with threadlock on the bolt going into them.

Ok, in asking the orical i work with :) some alloy and magnisium parts do have a helicoil type insert, either an odd type of external thread or a press fit/interferance fit thing, definatly not a helicoil, in his 30+ years

I can't see how it's any different? Helicoiling a maggy mount on a frame isn't any different to any other thread is it? Unless you mean from the maggy mounts felxing that messes up the helicoil/helicopter.

A 2' cracker bar says its differnt ;)

No good for use in soft materials or on a thread which the bolts going to be screwed in and out faily often

Timecerts where invented for plastics and nylons I think.

That's what I normaly use them for in work.

Like I said iv had loads of people ask me to repair threads where they have tried Helicoils and failed. They can't all be wrong.

I can't say iv had any fail on me because iv not done many as I'd go with a time cert unless there isn't enough land