Helicoils

the mysterious leemur

Right so guys I've stripped a few of the bolts on my echo from a combinatioof me being stupid and a dodgy clamp set up. A couple have no thread and the bolt rattles around inside.

I'm planning on helicoiling it but I don't really know how other than the basic steps, what sort of lengths and things am I needing to know ( other than m5x0.8 ). A link to a supplier would be great too

Edited by the mysterious leemur

I picked up a Clarkes M5X0.8 Kit off ebay for about £12.

Its been invalueable in sorting me out.

supplied with a drill bit, tap, tool to wind in the helicoil itself, and a punch to break the tab on the coil once its wound in.

Think it comes with roughly 15-20 helicoils too. Not shoddy quality either. Fixed my frame, forks and other frames for them and non have pulled out/stripped.

Just make sure you use the tap by hand, and go slow. Get it started, and then after every turn, go back another turn and a half to chase the threads and make sure its a clean tap.

Its dead easy once you get the hang of it.

• 10 months later...

Monster thread bump

http://www.timesert.com/

I had the pleasure of a demo from the wurth guy last week. While his back was turned i got a 2' cracker bar on an m6 and managed to shear the head off the bolt, helicoil just became obsolete imo

Edited by f**megently

Monster thread bump

http://www.timesert.com/

I had the pleasure of a demo from the wurth guy last week. While his back was turned i got a 2' cracker bar on an m6 and managed to shear the head off the bolt, helicoil just became obsolete imo

Been talking about these for years, what I use in work, Helicoils are good for some purposes just not most of what's required on a bike component

Or install the helicopter properly in the first place and never have any trouble anyway? Thought you were an engineer...

Haha helicopter. Love autocorrect

So far iv never seen a failed timcert but iv lost count of f**ked Helicoils if seen when people have brought me some thing to be repaired which they have tried to Helicoil in the past. Like I said not the correct application from them.

You Perfectly entitled to you own opinions on them. You carry on.