Problems With Try-All H116 Non-Disc Hub

Lewis Gething

Hello guys,

So after taking all the bits off my old frame to replace them on my new one, I noticed something seemed wrong with my rear hub. The axle moves independently, so only one side moves when I turn it. Surely this isn't right? The axle is also binding a lot, so the wheel no longer runs smoothly

I need to take the hub apart to find out exactly what's wrong with it, but can't seem to be able to remove the axle. I have tried giving it a heavy tap with a mallet, but to no avail. Can any of you maybe give me some pointers as far as removing the axle/bearings goes? Any help is greatly appreciated, as I am desperate to ride my new frame :(

Thanks very much!

faq

not a blind 'faq' though ;)

Anyway, to the OP. sounds like ur axle is snapped, if you can move one side independant to the other. The axle will come out, you just need to be brave andgive it an almighty hit.

You say your using a mallet, do you mean a rubber one? rubber will absorb the shock, so you need to use a metal hammer.

Edited by Martin Reynolds
  • Like 2

not a blind 'faq' though ;)

Anyway, to the OP. sounds like ur axle is snapped, if you can move one side independant to the other. The axle will come out, you just need to be brave andgive it an almighty hit.

You say your using a mallet, do you mean a rubber one? rubber will absorb the shock, so you need to use a metal hammer.

Would you not have to pull it out if it's snapped?

Thanks man, seems like a new axle is what I need. Just had a look on Tarty and they are out of stock, and judging by how long it takes K-124 stuff to reach them, I am gonna be unable to ride for a loonng while yet :( I used both a rubber mallet and hammer actually, but obviously didn't try hard enough when giving it a whack :D

Thanks man, seems like a new axle is what I need. Just had a look on Tarty and they are out of stock, and judging by how long it takes K-124 stuff to reach them, I am gonna be unable to ride for a loonng while yet :( I used both a rubber mallet and hammer actually, but obviously didn't try hard enough when giving it a whack :D

I had to brace mine against the floor, and use a hand held sledge to get it out. as long as you support the hub when you're hitting the axle you'll be fine.

I had to brace mine against the floor, and use a hand held sledge to get it out. as long as you support the hub when you're hitting the axle you'll be fine.

Okay, I'll try it again in the light tomorrow. Thanks again dude!

Sorry for making such a waste of a topic, I just really wanna get it sorted :)

That was going to be my next question :P The Rockman axle appeared to be what I needed, but apparently it is not compatible with the Try-All hubs :( I have taken mine out just now:

I think that's broken ;)

Its a shame how they've made massive long flanges for the bearings to sit agaisnt, and a skinnny center section. You think if they machined more off before the flanges, they could make the center section thicker, so you'd have the same weight axle but stronger

• Like 1

That was going to be my next question :P The Rockman axle appeared to be what I needed, but apparently it is not compatible with the Try-All hubs :( I have taken mine out just now:

tumblr_mdyizuY13P1ruvflao1_1280.jpg

same happened to my tryall disc hub when i threw it after roid rage, took the axle down to an engineering place and got them to make me one and it worked and was lighter