What Psi To Run On Tyres?

James Q

Pump them up firm then slowly let some air out till it feels comfortable to ride. I have my tyres quite firm whereas I've ridden some peoples bikes whos rear tyre would fold pretty easily because they have them that soft which I find feels horrible.

It's really a personal thing like brake setup.

• Like 1

Generally 'comp style' riders have lower pressures that 'streety style' so their tyres can deform on an obstacle and get more grip.

On my Inspired I run at about 40psi (well that's what the pump says...), but it's all a personal choice you just got to experiment a bit.

Edited by AndrewEH1
  • Like 1

Shouldn't really be too much of an issue when you're just starting up, comes in more when you get to going up obstacles and dropping off to help with a bit of spring/cushioning but not be so low as to get a pinch flat every time you hit the edge of a wall/pavement/bench/etc.

Also different terrain warrants different pressures like street will require something firmish as most surfaces are pretty flat whereas you'd run them a bit softer on natural to compensate for the off camber, strange shapes and potential mud you'd be encountering.

EDIT: Beaten to it

Yeah, was just gonna say if you're running 30+ psi on a Continental Der Kaiser / Maxxis Dual ply its your riding thats the problem not the tyre. But as has been mentioned, for 24" street tyres theres not alot of choice. Only option is a maxxis dual ply but they are very heavy and slow rolling.