Laptop Problem

Rich J

Yesterday a message started appearing titled iexplore.exe - System Error, which reads The program can't start because xpcom.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem. There is an ok option and a close button (x in the corner) clicking either just brings the message back up instantly.

Now it came up initially when I was using Firefox, when I closed it and clicked ok it disappeared but then opening chrome about a minute into using it the message returned.

Anyone who has had this problem or know how to solve it? It's a right pain in the backside.

No, don't. That is very silly advice.

You need to replace xpcom.dll. What OS are you running? Does the error message specify the location of xpcom.dll? There are more than one of them I believe.

Although, a swift search tells me it's related to old versions of Firefox (2 and 3) and not Internet Explorer, which is very strange.

Personally, I would run a virus scan and an adware/malware scan, then if that doesn't solve it, uninstall Firefox and reinstall the latest version. If the error still occurs, then start playing around with the .dll file.

Edited by Muel

No, don't. That is very silly advice.

You need to replace xpcom.dll. What OS are you running? Does the error message specify the location of xpcom.dll? There are more than one of them I believe.

Although, a swift search tells me it's related to old versions of Firefox (2 and 3) and not Internet Explorer, which is very strange.

Personally, I would run a virus scan and an adware/malware scan, then if that doesn't solve it, uninstall Firefox and reinstall the latest version. If the error still occurs, then start playing around with the .dll file.

Windows 7, and that is all the box says, no location.

I read, I believe the same thing about it being old firefox, except I am on chrome now and it still is showing.

Suggest me some good scanning software? Also laptop has been off between it showing first time and now with no noticeable differences.

Thank you.

It's back. After using MalwareBytes I clicked ok in the error box and it went away. About a day later it came back and I just dragged it off screen and ignored it and forgot about it. Yesterday upon turning my laptop on it came back up on the password screen, so no programs running at all it just appeared. Googled it and suggestions came up about it being a problem linking add-ons so went into internet explorer and deleted the add-on file and restarted.

Cue problems my screen blew up, everything went oversized, nothing fitted, went into the resolution settings and it had gone to minimum settings, took it back up to maximum but it is still a little blown out. Then about half an hour later message returns.

The trouble I have is I can google all day but knowing what half the stuff means or even whether it is safe or correct is beyond me. If anyone has anything they could suggest I'd be most thankful.

this exact same thing happened to my mams pc, right before the hd failed and was completely f**kered.

although i'm pretty sure it was in no way attached to the browser though. just came up upon start up and would never go away, i spent a good 5 mins furiously clicking the x on the error box and it kept coming back. can't say where it came from or anything though (brother in law deals with computers and couldn't retrieve anything from the hd either)

her pc was a few years old mind, the bro-in law said it was prob just a wear thing with the age or something (i tend to switch off when pc's are discussed as i have a bad habit of ruining mine :P ) how old is your laptop? could be the same deal maybe?

Give Avast antivirus a shot as it allows you to run a scan during the boot procedure is windows which so that some viruses which use various ways to avoid detection can be caught and removed.

The other thing I'd try is booting your/a windows boot cd/dvd and booting in to the recovery console and run chkdsk with the switches to check for defective sectors on. I think it is "chkdsk /f /r c:" without the quotes but if you run chkdsk /? it'll tell you. Could be a dying hdd.