Windows 7 / XP, sharing files over wi-fi

Tony Harrison

So I have a Win 7 PC on a home wifi network, and also an XP one. On the XP one if I go to Workgroup under Network Places, I can see the Win 7 laptop and get at it's libraries, i.e. Pictures, Documents, etc. This is even though I have not chosen to share them. So why the f'ck are they visible?

Also, if I join a Homegroup on the Win 7 PC, can I also join it using the XP one and have some control over what's shared and what isn't?

Anyway, enough of this nerdery, time to go down the pub.

Sorry, I am reflwoing one of my xbox, while i am working on my other one after that i am going to learn programming. what is that pub means? is it a system file?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Tony Harrison" data-cid="2474863" data-time="1356437317"><p>

Ok I finally found out where to tell the folder not to share. It does piss me off that Windows seems to enable sharing of the 'Users' folder by default if you select 'Home Network' as your wifi type.</p></blockquote>

Yep - but it's a nice little feature. Means that everything on your home network is open as it assumes it is trusted.

As long as your wifi is secure your don't really have much to worry about with it.