magura hs33 05 body jaff-bikes fix

dave33

just an idea i had to fix the snapping 05 bodies even after grinding them, i have had 3-4 snap on even over the years

josh helped me out and wrapped a couple in carbon for me and after a couple of months of testing out on my practice bike and a couple of crashes involving the lever its still working perfect

im sure there are alot more people who tend to snap them over time than me so just give jaff a shout and they can sort you out for a small price. money well spent

post-147-0-64063100-1358462072_thumb.jpg

This is really cool. I think this is definitely a better alternative to buying the CNC'd Racing Line lever bodies.

It would be if the 05's weren't becoming increasingly rare and were consistently available. Good if you want your current ones to last, but those CNC bodies look pretty unbeatable in the way that they feel like an 05, with everything that was wrong about them improved. :)

• Like 2

It would be if the 05's weren't becoming increasingly rare and were consistently available. Good if you want your current ones to last, but those CNC bodies look pretty unbeatable in the way that they feel like an 05, with everything that was wrong about them improved. :)

True that. Yeah, I was thinking that you would just buy a standard '05 one and then give it the JAF treatment, but you rightly pointed out their rarity. :)

Only time wi tell if they are as good as the original. In particular the bore for the piston, maybe they will leak over time like the echos.

The surface finish wont be as good as the magura

I havnt seen one for real yet though.

But I do hope they work out good, I was about to machine my own bodies if the carbon wrap failed

Best thing about the wrap is that its gonna be a fraction of the price and loads of people have the magura 05 already

I have one that was cached wrapped at the same time and it's still working. I just wanted to see if it would work. As when mine crack they snap fairly soon after

You can still buy the magura 05 bodies from magura

Edited by dave33

Echo's brakes tended to leak because they left small amounts of swarf from the machining process in them. Leaks continued after being cleaned as the pistons/cylinder had already been scored. The newer TR brake units seem to be okay. The ones Ive seen haven't leaked (so far :P)

You are right though. Providing they have been well made there shouldn't be a problem with them, but the carbon wrap would be cheaper.
I was/am a huge fan of the 05 Magura. They feel so much nicer than 04s/2010 onwards, and the availability of a CNC'd replacement is just what I was after, so I could be a tad bias :)

Edited by Echo Lite 09

How much did that run you?

Hi all,

I did these for Dave for free as they were just to test the concept and see if it had any structural effect on the levers :).

If anyone is interested in having it done, it is £12 for a single lever or £20 for a pair (all including return postage).

Cheers,

Josh Leech,

Jaf Bikes.

Echo's brakes tended to leak because they left small amounts of swarf from the machining process in them. Leaks continued after being cleaned as the pistons/cylinder had already been scored. The newer TR brake units seem to be okay. The ones Ive seen haven't leaked (so far :P)

You are right though. Providing they have been well made there shouldn't be a problem with them, but the carbon wrap would be cheaper.

I was/am a huge fan of the 05 Magura. They feel so much nicer than 04s/2010 onwards, and the availability of a CNC'd replacement is just what I was after, so I could be a tad bias :)

Yea maybe the swarf was a factor, but from an engineering point the surface RA (how smooth the surface is) of the bore will be a factor to how good the seal is, with the cnc process it's impossible to get any where near to what you get with a magura body

Same reason the Rb levers leaked, the fix was to polish the bore surface with a Dremel

Hi all,

I did these for Dave for free as they were just to test the concept and see if it had any structural effect on the levers :).

If anyone is interested in having it done, it is £12 for a single lever or £20 for a pair (all including return postage).

Cheers,

Josh Leech,

Jaf Bikes.

That's value for money

Hi all,

Cheers,

Josh Leech,

Jaf Bikes.

Is it possible to do the whole body of HS33 (the collar is not done in the picture) ?

Yea maybe the swarf was a factor, but from an engineering point the surface RA (how smooth the surface is) of the bore will be a factor to how good the seal is, with the cnc process it's impossible to get any where near to what you get with a magura body

Same reason the Rb levers leaked, the fix was to polish the bore surface with a Dremel

I understand where you're coming from, but the likes of Hope who too cnc their lever units/callipers manage to create leak free brakes.