Leaving a job and not being paid

arw_86

Ok, I left my job on December 21st 2012. I still haven't been paid my full months pay for the month of December. I know it sounds really bad but there a few points I will list.

- It's a small fires and fireplaces business with 5 employees
-cashflow has always been a problem, even more so the biggest customer we ever had still owes over £12000 since before xmas.
-the 2 other main fitters (i was lead fitter) are always skint and one had just got a mortgage and the other is trying to get one. I have savings and keep feeling they need the money more than me.
-the showroom manager has just got a mortgage, and needs the money more than me.
-Even when i worked there i was rarely paid on time, once not for 2 months, but I always trusted my boss and he always did come through.
-I still trust my boss overall, but the longer it goes with no communication the more annoying it is getting
-Im still in contact with the 2 fitters and they are all owed money still, and not being paid on time, so I know its not just me.
-my boss' best friend got in trouble with his own fire business, so lent him something like £50k. But isn't seeing hardly anything back for nearlly a year now. He was too kind basically and its hurting his own business now.

One other problem I have is (well not really a problem i guess) i was paid a salary, and I'm owed £700-£800 of that still (that's a given) but in the busy season I did a handshake deal on £250 cash bonus per month, this was 4 months before xmas. I got the first 2 months bonus but I am waiting on the Nov and Dec bonus, so £500. I know it means f**k all in legal pay terms but knowing £500 should be mine but probably wont be is a bit sucky.

My boss is a top bloke, he is trying his hardest to run a business, employs young workers, cares for his staff, runs around none stop trying to get work in and organise everything. On top of that he is a crazily interesting guy as he was the youngest sargeant in the French foreign legion, so his stories are insane, and he teaches a lot of life lessons! That aside he does suffer from organisation issues (how ironic)

I guess what I'm trying to say is. I'm owed money but I feel like a dick asking for it (always felt a bit awkward about money) and I in no way want to risk the business or the lads jobs. It's a crap situation. Does it matter how long I leave it to be paid? Or am i owed the rest of the salary for as long as time exists? I've half written off the cash side of it.

I rang the other day and asked Benn to get him to call me back but nothing yet. I might pop in, but again I just feel like I am adding to problems.

I feel like such a fag, but its hard to explain when its such a small business.

ps- sorry for bad use of grammar, and capital letters etc. I rushed it, and just wanted to type it out, to get it all out my system

Edited by arw_86

If you've worked for it, they owe you it. Simple as. The bonus thing might be a bit difficult to get hold of, but any proper salary is rightfully yours.

Go in and talk tot hem, if they're strapped for cash you could suggest they pay you in parts each month?

• Like 1

The entire post could be simply "I'm owed a months salary from my previous employer". Everything else is irrelevant. Get in touch, tell him you want the money or you'll take legal action.

• Like 1

Put it in writing if you're too much of a girl to sort it out. The threat of legal action is usually enough :)

However you want to do it sooner rather than later as there's a 3 month deadline to take these kinds of matters to employment tribunal, so you've got until the 21st of this month.

Give letter, give him a week to pay it (detail this in the letter), take legal action.

Also man up ffs!

Put it in writing if you're too much of a girl to sort it out. The threat of legal action is usually enough :)

However you want to do it sooner rather than later as there's a 3 month deadline to take these kinds of matters to employment tribunal, so you've got until the 21st of this month.

Give letter, give him a week to pay it (detail this in the letter), take legal action.

Also man up ffs!

cheers for the info on the 3 month thing. It's not about manning up or being too much of a girl, but you won't understand, so there is no point going into it.

The first thing you do when you run a business is make sure your employees are paid. I would be completely comfortable with delaying payments to absolutely anyone but the guys who work at fifty6, it's the highest responsibility that you have as an employer. Your ex-boss may be a 'top bloke' but he's not fulfilling his side of the bargain of employing you, and that makes him a dick in my reckoning. Get yourself paid, then you can go back to being mates with him if that's the way you want it, but he's not been fair by not sticking to his end while you've done your end.

• Like 1