what v-brakes to get if you cant afford avid ultimates?

24martin

As the topic title says, i basicly want to upgrade to some decent quality v-brake arms and im unsure what to get other than the avid ultimates.... but they arent cheap at £100 a pair :-( , so i wandered if any fellow v-brake users might be able to recommend an alterantive to the ultimates?

Im after some that dont develop loads of movement or wobble down at the pivot area where they bolt on, is there any out there that you guys could recommend?

i have looked around but im really not sure whats good and whats not with v-brake arms yet, all i know is that mine are impossible to set the spring tension on correctly now due to the amount of wobble that has developed between the brake arm and the brass bush running through it!

i appreciate any help or info

Shimano arms stay longer wobble free in general than avid. So depending on your wallet deore/lx/xt or even alvio.

The wobble in a Vee brake is a good thing, it helps the brake to be more bite'y.

Shimano Acera Arms/ TNN ADvee pads/ Jagwire cable/ Avid SD7 lever. (pretty good brake set up there)

I was a vee whore for a fair while; avid calipers suck the pin that sits in the mount deform and eventually fall out. . Some of the cheaper calipers are very decent I'm using some clarks/bikehut brand vee calipers and they're fine and have dealt with my 14 stone heft fine.. performance is reliant on cable maintenance and quality of pads more than anything. As already said sd7 levers are great!