JAF 24"

cai

The frame came through earlier this week, I've built it up with a 'temporary build' for now (front and back Maxxis holy rollers, a 70x25 Hope stem and Hope QR's are on there way) but it rides really good!

I went for an unconventional geometry:

Wheelbase: 1030mm

Chainstays: 360mm

BB height: + 40mm

Head Angle: 76 deg

There's some great custom features on the frame too like the fully enclosed dropouts, triple brake mounts, and a 150mm headtube length.

So far I'm really pleased, it rides exactly how I wanted it to!

post-15392-0-77266800-1367624937_thumb.j

• Like 1

It's what I asked for, I prefer the look of it with the "massively long seat tube", it makes my bike look a bit more like a normal bike. The seat tube is 360mm long with a 330mm long seat post and a quick release seat clamp - so I can put the seat up to a useable position, but it's completely out of the way when it's slammed. Far better IMO than having a pointless seat on top of a tiny seat tube just for 'the look'.

Edit: Yeah Josh is pretty awesome at frame building, I'd definitely recommend him!

Edited by cai
  • Like 1

Cheers! It's a 76degree head angle, and the head tube is 150mm long - so no need for a tower of spacers to get the right stem height. I agree with you that a steeper head angle is better.

that's a weird lookin bike

and I like it

Haha, cheers.

Looks a nice build although the welding on most of the jaf frames I have seen is really quite amateur

How so? I was quite impressed with the quality of the welds, it's very consistent, no imperfections..

Would like to see you do better, doubt you could like

I knew this would open a can of worms I'm a fully qualifyied pipe fitter welder and I can prove that I'm a lot better than that to any one I'm critical of welding because its what I do for a living

All I was saying is the frames are nice but the welding could and should be a lot better

Regards

I knew this would open a can of worms I'm a fully qualifyied pipe fitter welder and I can prove that I'm a lot better than that to any one I'm critical of welding because its what I do for a living

All I was saying is the frames are nice but the welding could and should be a lot better

Regards

I'd agree with you on this.

My background is in much thicker materials with les

S complicated joints. But, it's imporved quite a bit of recent and is continuing to.

Can I ask which frames you've seen? There aren't that many around the midlands.

I would say that it may well be a challenge for you though. A majority of the tubing is 0.8 at the joint and welded to thickness's up to 3mm, so there's quite a bit of thick-thin work involved with it :).

Glad you like it Cai, have fun with it chap (Y)

Cheers,

Josh.

I have seen a few frames on bike pics on here and all the welds are the same I may well be sounding harsh but I don't mean to be like I said I'm critical because of my job and I wouldn't invest in something with not bad but moderate welding my job is mainly stainless 316l dairy bore pipe work with full penetration and then every weld is xrayed so the material thickness would not be a problem as its what I'm used to but if u come from a background welding thicker gauge steel I can defenatly see why it's harder

As always kind regards

The welding on most of the jaf frames I have seen is really quite amateur

you what mate i am a massive basher and ride brakeless i have had major falls and also put a large dent on the downtube. The welding is super neat and my frame is so stiff couldn't be any happier with it.

frame looks awesome none the less

you what mate i am a massive basher and ride brakeless i have had major falls and also put a large dent on the downtube. The welding is super neat and my frame is so stiff couldn't be any happier with it.

frame looks awesome none the less

Cheers mate, I agree that the frames are seriously stiff!

i like it,because i think the whole custom thing is about getting your unique,one of a kind,one and only,compareable to nothing....

....bicycle.

you´d wonder what my marino came out like ridingwise,despite everyone said my geo´s weird!

looks special,i agree,but who of us isnt one of a kind?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...