NEED HELP! My Brake....AGAIN!

persistant_itch

Firstly, sorry for clogging up the forum with this issue but i'm on the verge of a foooooooking meltdown!

I waited 4 weeks for the seals i needed for my tech trial, I got the whole caliper seal kit for both brakes... so they arrived today and I spent the day giving the whole bike some TLC and attention, i followed hopes how to on how to bleed the tech trial and followed numerous different guides on how to rebuild the brake caliper.

It turned out that the leak was from behind the bore cap so I took my sweet time, cleaned it and checked for any wear and tear, (which there appears to be none of) changed all the seals and bled the brake. .....All was well.....Rebuilt the bike....all was well, took the bike out the front just to roll around and let the brake have a test run..then the lever started to feel spongy again, and just my F*#KING LUCK, The bore cap is leaking again!!!!

Stripped and rebuild again, slower this time and again just now, the same problem!!All over my brand new pads!!

I've only had the bike around 3 and a bit months and i've only got to ride it properly for 1 and a half of those!! and i'm supposed to be bringing the bike to Radfest! I've barely got to practice at all!

Can someone please help me here, is it new caliper time??,is there something i've done wrong??

My head is melted with this crap and i cant afford to be buying a new brake!

...Rant over (apologies)

any help is much appreciated

Bernard

Are you sure its the bore cap? I had a massive problem with my hopes and spent far too much on the rear getting it to stop leaking. Turned out it was the piston that needed sanding ever so lightly, removed it and noticed it had dirt and grime built up which wasn't allowing it to seal properly. Worth a look maybe? good luck man

Are you sure its the bore cap? I had a massive problem with my hopes and spent far too much on the rear getting it to stop leaking. Turned out it was the piston that needed sanding ever so lightly, removed it and noticed it had dirt and grime built up which wasn't allowing it to seal properly. Worth a look maybe? good luck man

I'm Pretty certain its the bore cap, the whole brake was dry and clean and then there was DOT fluid in a droplet at the bottom of the bore cap, but if all else fails its gonna be another strip and rebuild in the morning

Excuse me but did you check the 90 degree hose connector hollow bolt? I hit it once causing it to bend and deform the copper washer. They both had to be replaced to fix leakage. Tightening it more did not help. This may be mistaken for bore cap leakage.

• Like 1

Sounds stupid but have you checked the o ring that goes on the bore cap very rare they leak there also check you haven't cross threaded the bore cap and are you doing it up tight enough

Yeah as it says I bought 2 full calliper seal kits. they come with the o-ring seal, the other one looked fine but i swapped it out anyway, the bore cap went in nice and smooth and tightly

Did you throw water on it to bed in?

How would that help it? do you have to do that?

What he just said.

Failing that get the brake in the post ASAP to hope tech. Give there warranty dept a call

I bought the bike 2nd hand from Andrew on the forum, and he never seemed to have any issues with them,

Excuse me but did you check the 90 degree hose connector hollow bolt? I hit it once causing it to bend and deform the copper washer. They both had to be replaced to fix leakage. Tightening it more did not help. This may be mistaken for bore cap leakage.

No ill look into that now thanks, but it does look fine

Sorry for not adding anything useful but this fully backs up my theory of how crap Hope brakes are

They seem great when working right like,when i got the bike, for the first few weeks they were like hitting a wall for power, but the amount of individual tools and parts i had to source because each caliper is slightly different really frustrated me, like i had to buy the bore tool, which is specific to that brake, if i have to buy a different brake ,the tool and any spares i have are useless to me.

BINGO i think we have a winner!! pumped the crap out of the brakes there to try and see the leak and it seems to be from there!! how much did it cost to replace? and where do you get the parts??

If you can afford the time, send hope the brake, and if it's a warranty job, that's fine, and if it's not, get them to send you the bits you need and fix it yourself.

yeah time is my major issue, i would like to be decent on the bike by radfest time, and thats already looking unlikely, but i think i might do that if Bings suggestion doesnt work

You should be able to get the copper washers from any car shop, or order some off crc

i'll give that a go mate,fooking sick of this brake at this stage, fluid has ruined a brand new set of pads and all!