What chain help.....

Semaj

I was having a wee mess about on the onza rip today and the chain broke.....

The only thing i can fathom is it wasn't fitted so well by the previous owner as its fairly new......

What size chain do I need and what's a decent one to buy?

Cheers......

Edited by Semaj

I just watched a video on YouTube of a guy fitting a new chain and all he did was using the tool push the pin in place and that was it.... :o

Is that right?i would have thought it would need riveted at least.

I'm still wondering why the hell mine broke,I'll get a pic up later of it as the side plate has bent outward.......this is suppose to be a recently fitted chain

.post-35512-0-20760400-1371407418_thumb.jpost-35512-0-32476500-1371407473_thumb.j

I'm convinced this chain is 1/8th

Edited by Semaj

They don't need riveting, just rejoining with a split link. The ones they come with aren't brilliant so tarty recommend getting one of these http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/chains/kmc_split_link/c7p11014.html instead though they're currently out of stock. Should be able to pick one up from Halfords though.

Does that chain have a split link fitted? If not it could have been rejoined and not had the ends of the pin splayed over which would explain it pulling out and bending the plates like it has. As a word of warning if you ride regularly it's advised you get a new chain at least twice a year as they do take some hammer!

The chan definitely didn't have a split link fitted so I'm guessing its as you say.....they hadn't been splayed over and has worked it's way out.

I've ordered that one you gave me the link to so that will work a treat and at least I know for sure that it's got a brand new one fitted.

I can't attempt any tricks just now because of my wrist so there's no rush......

I've just noticed on the link you gave for the split link that someone has asked what size link to buy for a std onza chain and they recommend the 1/8th so I'm confused as that's the size of the chain that broke (I think)

The one I've just bought is the 3/32

Edited by Semaj

127 link one?

I edited my post,meant to say 128.

At first I thought they have sent me the wrong chain but it seems not.i was hoping to fit it straight without ersing about but I'll remove some of the links but do the pins push straight out or are they riveted??they look as if they are flared out but its hard to tell.

I also don't have the tool,I do have a chain tool for motorcycle chains but I'm not sure if its small enough to push the pin out.

Is this anything to worry about,is it normal for this to bent out like this?

The rear sprocket does appear to be straight inline and the rear wheel matches the front

post-35512-0-55258100-1371562121_thumb.j

Looking at this pic it makes the rear wheel look well out of line but it isn't as bad when you compare it to the front......doesn't look right though does it?

I think I'll loosen it off and adjust it equally on both sides and see if that I'm

Oves the way it looks....

Edited by Semaj

Yeah the chain tugs supplied with onza rips are like cheese, I ended up braking one off a 3ft drop..
Gusset ones with sort that out but it's ride-able for now, I ended up machining my own out of steel though.. They never let me down...

The saga continues :(

Purchased the chain tool which arrived today(rapid delivery) and reduced the new chain down to the size required.

Put the chain in place and the fecker doesn't fit the rear sprocket.....wtf??

I'm not sure if its a std onza sprocket or not and as far as I am aware it was replaced so it could be something to do with this.

I thought the chain that had broke was the same size as the new one but it isn't,and it obviously fits the sprocket fine.

Pain in the ass this is haha.......