48h Hub, 32h Rim. Doable?

isitafox

Seems to me that it'd be possible to miss out every 6th hole on each side, but I can't say I'd want to personally!

then it would be unevenly crossed and wobble up and down under load...

and with a 32 thats how many holes? its an odd number,which doesnt work as it shifts the whole pattern

Edited by FamilyBiker

Why? All the holes of the rim would be filled (oooo er) and, although the crosses wouldn't be perfect, they wouldn't be a million miles off... It's about tension, not crosses. To be fair, you could also vary the length of each spoke dependant on where it was in relation to a missed hole, to make sure the tension was absolutely equal across the wheel.

EDIT: I'm not suggesting that's a good idea, just saying it's theoretically possible rather than just a load of unsubstantiated bollocks about wobbling.

Edited by JD™

Found a topic on one of the uni forums I visit from a month or so ago on the exact same subject though the guy had built up a 29" wheel. Apparently he just measured it up on a spoke calculator as a normal 3x 32h pattern and the spokes were within 1mm of what he needed so he used longer nipples just to be sure. Also this guy has been riding muni for a long time so he knows what he's talking about regarding how safe it should be, baring that in mind if a 29" is safe enough for a bit of muni then surely a 24" will be stronger with it being smaller no?

EDIT: The wheel he built!

IMGP0347.jpg

IMGP0350.jpg

• 7 months later...

Fianally got around to doing this, used an Echo TR rim which the ERD was only a few mm different on and has worked perfectly. Ended up so I fitted a spoke head in, head out, gap, head in, head out, gap, head in, head out, gap, etc....

Shouldn't really be any weaker than a standard build as I'm utilising all the holes in the rim and the spokes are all tensioned up, will see how it goes!

post-24247-0-95796900-1397388426_thumb.j

• Like 3