Brakes advice!

Hotchy

Hey guys, relatively new to Trials here, I actually used to ride waaayyy back in 2010, but unfortunately my bike got stolen after 4 months, so I gave up and stuck to BMX(I'm still terrible at BMX) Anyway, I started wanting to get back into Trials again, months ago around the same time I made my account on here. So I bought myself a 2012 model Onza Zoot and got riding!

Unfortunately I took a pretty bad fall doing a drop I thought I was comfortable with (Thought the bike was going to perform pretty much the same as my BMX in the air, oh how wrong I was) and managed to mess up my back, so I've not ridden properly for about 6 months. But I finally got the go ahead to start riding again the other week, and you'll never guess what happened! My brakes broke, and not in the way they're supposed to!

The set up I have at the minute is a Magura HS33 on the front, and a diabolic stand in £15 V-brake on the back, because my rear HS33 decided it was going to explode :( Honestly haven't got a clue whats wrong with, it's just not holding fluid at all, I've checked the vales and they're fine, the fluid just seems to be teleporting into the abyss. So I've got a few options:
1) Keep running the terrible Vee I have at the minute until I can afford a better one, which won't be for a while as I'm currently unemployed and it's just been the Missus' birthday
2) Considering going brakeless, but I also ride brakeless BMX, and quite want to keep brakes on my Trials.
3) I've got an old but still very usable non-hydraulic disc brake and disc that I'm thinking about putting on the front, and then moving the HS33 I have on the front to the back.

What do you guys think? Any help and suggestions will be most appreciated!
Cheers!
Will

1st: never spare on the brakes, as you cannot

I was in the same situations, got some used maggies, and god, none of them worked, leaked, explode, oil that went to another dimension... you name it

Then last november I bought a new one. yep, twice the money as the used one. but in the previous ridings I had 0 problem with it, I could be 100% confident

I would say option 1, set it up as good as you can. Then get new brakes.

There might be some Vee magicians here who will help you out :)

I'd put the disc on the back, but I can't, as I can't mount the actual disc, as I don't have an adaptor on the back :/

I think for the time being, I'm gonna go disc on the front, because it's gonna be ages until I can afford anything. So I'll run that set up for a while. Then when I finally get money I'm gonna go with hydraulic discs for front and back, and hopefully going to be getting the pro frame kit as well! :)

Though onza zoot's didn't have disc mounts on the hubs? if so, you can't mount a disc brake without changing hub and spokes and rebuilding your wheel.

I'd say, get better pads for the rear and grind the rim. The stock onza pads are shite. So invest in some decent pads, grind the rim, and enjoy a awesome brake on the rear :)

I got some of this ages ago for my Vees:-

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/rim_brake_spares/monty_brake_spray/c5p2083.html

and it works a treat and lasts for ages. I've got a grind on but not a particulary harsh one.

Only problem is when the rims get wet, it turns back into liquid form and has the complete opposite effect.

Also, it smells exactly like cheap hairspray, so i reckon you could just nick some of the missus and use that.

I should have mentioned too, I’m running bog standard cheapo brake pads….

Though onza zoot's didn't have disc mounts on the hubs? if so, you can't mount a disc brake without changing hub and spokes and rebuilding your wheel.

I bought the bike second hand, and the previous owner changed the front hub, so it's got a disc mount, completely forgot to mention that :L

I'll give some of that spray a go, and if works I'll keep the set up I'm running at the minute, saves me faffing about changing everything around

Cheers man!