Tyres folding kevlar or wire bead

James281098

On my BMX I've gone through 3 sets of tyres which were wire beads, and the only reason I had to replace them was because they got eggs cause the beads stretched and tore the tyre, I've now got folding kevlar Fit FAF's had them for about a month now and so far no problems, which is longer than my old KHE's did. So I'd say kevlar

On my BMX I've gone through 3 sets of tyres which were wire beads, and the only reason I had to replace them was because they got eggs cause the beads stretched and tore the tyre, I've now got folding kevlar Fit FAF's had them for about a month now and so far no problems, which is longer than my old KHE's did. So I'd say kevlar

Cheers, so would you say table top tyres folding over the maxxis hollyroller wire bead? The table top will save me weight is why I am asking

Holy rollers are more popular and common, I've not seen many tabletops about on trials bikes but I see them on dirt jump bikes. My mate tried a table top on his echo 24 for a week and it was puncture after puncture.

I have just gone from tabletops to holy rollers and they were alright for the money as long as you rode in the dry. A few times I was riding through my local shops in the wet and the front just slipped away... I wasn't victim to too many punctures either (lucky me!) The rollers are amazing so far, I have rode them a bit in both the wet and dry, on and off road and they just grip! Then again, the tabletops were only 2.25s compared to the 2.4 rollers... :P

I'm gonna be very contradicting here, but I'd actually say get the Rollers because they're amazing. They're great for literally everything. They're the definition of grip. Just be careful not to stretch the beads. Which most people I know seem to find hard to do anyway, maybe KHE's are just shit, or I'm just unlucky

Edited by Hotchy

KHE tyres do f**king suck in fairness. They definitely went too much in the direction of making them as light as possible. Someone I knew had the kevlar one and it just exploded at random, which it seems they were fairly prone to doing. Their wire bead ones were a little stronger but still nothing amazing.

Been running Holy Rollers front and rear for 4-5 years now - never had an issue with the beads. Only thing I've found is I've occasionally put a little tear in the sidewalls from rimming out really hard/rolling the tyre landing spins badly, but it's never anything major and doesn't kill the tyre off or anything (that said, I tend to run 20-30psi). The past two rear tyres I've had I've put a hole in the sidewall within a fortnight of putting them on but they just keep on working fine.

The Tabletop if i'm thinking of the right tyre is gonna have the same thin sidewall as the HolyR. But with more spaced out grip. For pure street the Holy is better rolling but TT for more urban/dirt mix. Both pretty bad on rear for punxtures at low pressure.

Some folding do have higher tpi, how many more tyres i don't know. But just something to be wary of.

As i said OP. Holy for pure street. TT for some dirt grip too.

Why? Isn't higher TPI the better option?

Edited by niconj