Road Bike - Halfords Cycle2Work

Brian Bleech

My work is now part of the Halfords cycle2work scheme so I am looking to buy a road bike with it and basically I don't know much about roadies so looking for what people reccomend? It has to be under a £1000 as the halfords scheme won't let you overspend.

So far looking at the Giant Defy 1 - http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/giant-defy-1-14 and Defy 2 -http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/giant-defy-2-14 the cheaper one still seems good and will give me some room to play with for helmet, shoes, etc.

The Rose Pro SL 2000 - http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/road/road-bikes/pro-sl/ I really like the look of this, but unsure if it will be available on the scheme.

The Boardman Team Carbon - http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-team-carbon-bike-2014 - seems to offer great value and good reviews, but it is bloody ugly and just can't see myself riding it!!

Also, has anyone ysed the C2W scheme? Had any problems with it?

Cheers.

If you can, avoid a bike from halfords if you can... I work there but still really detest all their bikes, there's one or two exceptions of their high end boardmans but I wouldn't get it myself.

I don't know a huge deal about road bikes but I know they're pretty hard to get wrong... Any brand will be fine really, above everything make sure you get the right fit and everything else will fit in nicely.

Waybe when I was reading it up at halfords on a poster in the staff room it said 25% off plus no tax and I think you can pay in installments over something like 18 months...

If it was me id get either the defy 1 or the rose, the boardman is good value for money but the defy 1 and the rose seem to have some better compenents such as it has 105 gears which are higher end than tiagra, the rose has 105 gears too but it also has 105 brakes which are definitely better than the tektro's that defy 1 has so in my opinion get the Rose. But basically you get a coupon for the max amount your allowed, you get your receipt and everything and then you pay get a certain amount of money automatically taken from your wages each week or month depending how often you get paid. Then once its all paid your company decides whether they want to let you keep the bike (which 9/10 times they will) or take it back from you. The bike is tax free aswell so you wont be paying the full price that it says in the shop or online.

I looked into using our cyclescheme thing to get a RIbble but the whole final value thing thing put me off and I decided that it wasn't worth the crap doing it through work so just bought it on 0% finance over 10 months direct from Ribble. I think the cycle scheme thing used to be far better value when the final value was a 'token gesture' type sum of £20-£50 or whatever but now they've closed that loophole the savings reduce a fair bit.

Didn't know the managers get to choose if you keep the bike or not... That seems extremely unfair especially as you've paid for it?

It seems unfair at first but you arent paying the full price as for you it would be tax free but your company is paying that tax your not paying so it seems kinda fair to me

Didn't know the managers get to choose if you keep the bike or not... That seems extremely unfair especially as you've paid for it?

It seems unfair at first but you arent paying the full price as for you it would be tax free but your company is paying that tax your not paying so it seems kinda fair to me