4 cylinders, 2 cylinders, hope, saint?

Clerictgm mk2

thehihopsoldier pretty much got it right,but have to agree with adam too.

more slave pistons mean more power if the master piston remains the same.

just force>>surface>>>pressure>>>surface>>>force if you look at the hydraulic system.but levers are a factor too.

but most brakes change master piston diameter according to how much slaves there are,so the power isnt thaaaat much more (sure is in most cases but not by times)but the modulation is increasing,because you have "steps" in the power diagram.the pistons move out depending on how you pull the lever and how far and so on.

hydraulic brakes arent really a simple press,with multipiston systems and features like servo wave a lot of factors come into play

Edited by FamilyBiker

M810 Saints from new should last ages as long as you're not doing stupid things to them that break them. I've had mine 18 months from new and they're perfect. Buying used is another story, there's usually only one reason people sell Saints, because they broke them, I've bought used Saints to find out they're leaking, don't forget they're 5 years old now. I'd rather buy Saints every 3 or 4 years than use a Hope for 10 years, lever blade flapping in the wind.

I also don't like the fact Hope wont get with it & use post mount calipers.

Edited by LEON

I hate the new short levers which is why I'm still running the older style brake. A trialzone for street will glaze over pretty easily from my experience. You'd be better off with the 4 pot DH brake (although they have too much pad wobble for my liking)

I've ordered a new pair of MT5 brakes, might mate them up with my saint levers to get the advantage of the servo wave. If the other MT brakes are anything to go by, power shouldn't be an issue

I just received an MT5 a couple days ago. Heres for first impressions after bedding in. Feels more powerful than both M810 & M820. Less pad knock. The lever feels sluggish and yucky though, compared to the crisp snappy feeling Shimano levers.

What difference between V2 and trialzones? What special in trialzones at all? It seems that it's just X2 with larger piston and race lever?

And about saints M810, they are not made anymore?

The 810s aren't made anymore but you can get the lever, the hose and the caliper independently and build one.

The Trialzones have a 25mm piston. I don't know the size of the V2's piston but if it's smaller, there's less power. As for the Tech lever. It just so happened that I could compare my race lever with them and even though the two adjustment screws are a nice feature, I don't need it. I like the bite point close to the handlebars and that's possible with the race lever adjustment. It's true that the bite point adjustment affects the lever reach but I feel very comfortable with it the way it is now.

In short:

- The Hope Tech lever offers reach and bite point adjustment independent from each other.

- The Hope Tech lever is heavier

- If the V2s have a smaller piston then they are less powerful

- If the Trialzones are even more powerful with a Hope rotor and Jitsie pads (compared to my SLX rotor and standard Hope pads), then the V2s with that setup can't impossibly be too weak.

- The Saints (I've got a 810 lever paired to a Zee caliper with Goodridge braided hoses and a IS->PM adapter + Screws + EBC RedStuff pads) are 150gr. heavier than my Trialzones (caliper No.3 = no adaptor needed with a 180mm rotor)

- The Saints feel more like an on/off brake in comparison to the Trialzones which transfer the power more progressively (my opinion) which gives you more modulation

All in all you won't regret buying either brake even though I like the Hopes more as they offer spares, which isn't the case with Shimano and!!!! I have never read anything about Hopes braking like my Zee caliper did just the other day (on the rear).

15115531792_4da1af36b2_n.jpgZee by niconj, on Flickr

Hope that helps with your decision.

Edited by niconj

V2 has the same piston diameter(25mm).

About saints - I want to try it, but as long as shimano are a retarded company (why to end production of such an awesome and successful product?) I don't really see any capability to try them (I'm too lazy to order levers+calipers separately and building it up).

I don't get one thing: why no one uses 4-cylinder hopes in street-trials? M4/E4 are pretty light V4 are crazy powerful and all this with better modulation than 2-cylinder ones.

Edited by Clerictgm mk2

V2 has the same piston diameter(25mm).

About saints - I want to try it, but as long as shimano are a retarded company (why to end production of such an awesome and successful product?) I don't really see any capability to try them (I'm 1. too lazy to order levers+calipers separately and building it up).

I don't get one thing: 2. why no one uses 4-cylinder hopes in street-trials? M4/E4 are pretty light V4 are crazy powerful and all this with better modulation than 2-cylinder ones.

1. It's really not that difficult and done in half an hour

2. Because everyone is using Saints. :D And I guess the 4pot Hopes are too expensive and heavy compared to the Trialzones. Also, if the wheel is locked, it's locked. With Trialzones, Saints or V4s. You don't really need more power. Having said that, if it wasn't for the squishy lever feel on the rear, the BB7s would be right up there as well.

Edited by niconj

I think one reason saints get used a lot is the brake is much more firm than a hope, all the hope trial brakes I've felt are very spongey in comparison. That works for some people with wrist problems etc, but I definitely prefer the shimano feel. I think these days shimano make better disc brakes than Hope. Although Hope will sell you spares and sort you out while shimano will just laugh at you from a distance.