Shimano XT cranks on a Inspired

Perez

you cant put more than the 2 on the drive side or your bb will eat the 4 threads it's only sitting on,believe me ;)

68bb:1 left 2 right

73bb:0 left,1 right

e-type derailleur/chainguide:1 left 1 right

now sitting here and waiting for dan to declare my experience in bike mechanics as "bullshit" again lol

edit:http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/global_cycle/en/sg/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50lparsys-0003-downloadFile.html/Hollowtech%20II%20Crank%20Installation.pdf

Edited by FamilyBiker
  • Like 1

you cant put more than the 2 on the drive side or your bb will eat the 4 threads it's only sitting on,believe me ;)

68bb:1 left 2 right

73bb:0 left,1 right

e-type derailleur/chainguide:1 left 1 right

now sitting here and waiting for dan to declare my experience in bike mechanics as "bullshit" again lol

edit:http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/global_cycle/en/sg/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50lparsys-0003-downloadFile.html/Hollowtech%20II%20Crank%20Installation.pdf

I know this, the thing is, the BB is from Superstar Components, and when fitted, the 22T chainring does not hit the frame for just a bare 1mm. With me on it pedaling im sure it will hit it.

i put another 3rd washer but with only 1mm, and it seemed to work fine, need to try it. Bit afraid of the threads of the bb..

Edited by Perez

no washers on the cups (maximum thread from the cups goes into the frame), and then add spacers on the crank arm spindel...This also supports the bearings in the cups better(at least on most common bb-cups)..

• Like 1

no washers on the cups (maximum thread from the cups goes into the frame), and then add spacers on the crank arm spindel...This also supports the bearings in the cups better(at least on most common bb-cups)..

Good point here, never thought of that. Thanks!

Would that BB require more frame threads if no spacers were used?

I don't think so…..however it has been designed for DH bikes (with the intention of allowing more clearance with the use of chain guides), or for the example I gave. If you had a 68mm BB and used no spacers it could very possibly stick out…but then you shouldn't be doing that anyway.

• Like 1