Need a good welder in UK

Perez

I need help to a friend of mine, he has a hairline crack on the headtube on a very rare mtb frame, and the best option so far it's in the states and is very expensive.

The thing is.. he need to fill the crack but still wants to have the same frame colour after it.

Any info on a welder, or any ideas on this?

Very much obrigado!

post-31495-0-34754000-1416095727_thumb.j

i dont see how being in the states would make much difference in this sort of repair ?, all the people locally in the uk to me would do that sort of repair on there tea or lunch break or out of hours for 20 or 30 gbp, is there no where locally that he could walk into an at least ask ? as if hes rung a company theyll always want a fortune, were ass talking to one of the welders that work for them may do it on the side

What do you mean by save the frame colour? Looks ball burnished/anodised silver. Welding it back up with damage the existing finish, but any local fabricator that can weld aluminium should be able to fix the crack.

Out of curiosity what is the frame?

Is a Manitou DH EFC frame, from 1994.

Colour is original anodised silver.

Here i know were to do, but in UK i dont have any feedback.

There isn't really any point in going anywhere specific here in the UK. For such a minor job, I and pretty much anyone else would go to a local welder/fabricator, cash in hand job; as it's only 5-10 minutes work. But to ensure a decent weld the anodising around the crack would be removed, even if you didn't it would get distressed by the heat put through it by welding.

Why is it going to be so expensive to repair in the States? The last time I got a minor repair like that sorted it cost me a packet of biscuits!

Sweet, is he building up a retro build then?

I've heard of vacuum welding repairs on ally engine blocks done in the states that is quite expensive, maybe it was that process he was quoted on?? Dunno. Any Fab worth his salt in the UK can weld it, but as mentioned, it will impact on the anodising.

Edited by *gentlydoesit

There isn't really any point in going anywhere specific here in the UK. For such a minor job, I and pretty much anyone else would go to a local welder/fabricator, cash in hand job; as it's only 5-10 minutes work. But to ensure a decent weld the anodising around the crack would be removed, even if you didn't it would get distressed by the heat put through it by welding.

Why is it going to be so expensive to repair in the States? The last time I got a minor repair like that sorted it cost me a packet of biscuits!

Sweet, is he building up a retro build then?

Yep, it's a retro built, that frame has a huge story on it :)

After the welding, is there any process to make the welded area shine again?

I've heard of vacuum welding repairs on ally engine blocks done in the states that is quite expensive, maybe it was that process he was quoted on?? Dunno. Any Fab worth his salt in the UK can weld it, but as mentioned, it will impact on the anodising.

The welder is the USA is Frank the Welder, a very well known welder, it's expensive because the job is flawless around 500$ and postage is about 200$

The only way you could get a uniform finish on the frame would be to re-anodise it.

$700??!?! I have heard of Frank and am aware of his work with Spooky, Sinister and his *** frames. But that seems a little excessive for such a small repair. His old *** trials frames were $895. What is he actually doing for that money? I assume your friend doesn't just want a simple weld repair, but wants it blended in and finished?

Never heard of the dude.. till a quick Google a mo ago :)

Looks like he knows what he's doing, but I too find it difficult to justify the cost... unless its welded, finished, re-hardened and anodised.. in witch case you'd be hard pressed to get it done in one place any cheaper in the uk, without it being a cash off the books job

(Less shipping cost accepting £v$ rate)

With a bit of research and effort you could;

Find a welder to weld and finish

Find a company to anneal and re-harden*

Find a company to strip and re- anodise

Transport the frame across locations yourself

Possibly cheap but a massive ball ache.