New Monty prices....more expensive!

Guillermo Marin

MONTY STATEMENT
The Trial-Bikes.com team would like to share with you the following statement sent by Monty:

"Dear Customers and Colaborators:
Since May 2014 the value of the dollar has been increasing constatly in respect to fhe value of the euro.

This increase has been specially noticeable for the past few months, to the point it's been really hard for us to cope with it. Because of that, we feel the obligation to increase our prices since February.

We're sorry for the inconveniences this may cause, and we hope you understand how hard it's been to make this decision in such a price-sensitive market.

We appreciate your support and understanding."

11018879_1441680766122693_34317304138436

I am certainly no economics major or financial person, however, can someone explain to me, how if it costs x amount of Euros to build a bike, very few parts if any come from the US, how can the bike be costing Monty more to build, to justify a price increase?

I'm guessing Disney World does not raise its price based on currency conversion. Simply a day in the theme park is costing x dollars, and you pay your entry based on that. If a Euro is strong you get a better value, if the Euro is weak, your value is not so good.

PK

Haven't monty always been more expensive than the competition around them at each price point??

And could never be described as good value in terms of price (in the UK at least) or full bike equipment either.

It's the reason I didn't get a monty from the LBS some years ago (2006) and asked my 'rents for an (cheaper RRP and better equipped) Onza for my 1st bike. Even now I only give consideration to most Monty products if they are on clearance or come up local and second hand. It always speaks volumes to me about the popularity of monty stuff that it (seems to) stick to the shelf and has to be priced to move in the first place.

Since this wholesale price increase will no doubt have to be reflected in the retail prices, does that effectively price them (further?) out of the market?

I think the new frame design is pretty revolutionary personally.

26" carbon frame... yes and no - would you spend ~£1500 on a frame? Would anyone?

**disclaimer for when I get hate - I do not claim to be an expert and there are people like tarty Adam who will know infinates more about the subject, I am just an observer of a friend who owns an M5, stating an opinion I have formed during his ownership**

Only if the carbon technology used was more modern and wasn't the same as/remarkably similar to that used on the swingarm of my dad's 1996 Cannondale Super V 700 carbon. Like the m5 is.

And said frame didn't have a frame design resulting in constant chainslap, a 124mm BB that AFAIK is only available using the FSA platinum it is specced with, or such tight packaging that any deviation (chain make or model, BB, hub etc.) from the spec monty specced it with causes clearance issues in every direction, or needed different cranks from a different brand entirely in order to clear the frame or slaves.

Now, I think the M5 is a great bit of kit, and Adam I agree it is revolutionary, but in a market that is, as monty state, price driven, ultimately a niche and not got the investment of say road bikes or MTB because in trials there simply isn't the people numbers to buy the parts, I think a full carbon bike was/is a technology too far.

It's my belief that the M5 is Monty's Veyron - A "look! We did this!" kinda thing. But so was that cannondale, and bikeapedia says that was a one year only model.

Edited by CC12345678910
  • Like 1

Monty are a slightly larger company than most think too being that you see a lot of other forms of bikes in Spain and even the odd scooter cutting around so I imagine they do have a lot of product's coming from over seas now so the impact it's having on their company is going to be quite the amount.

Monty are a slightly larger company than most think too being that you see a lot of other forms of bikes in Spain and even the odd scooter cutting around so I imagine they do have a lot of product's coming from over seas now so the impact it's having on their company is going to be quite the amount.

This Is true. I often forget about the MTBs and BMXs too. I'm recalling a pic of a proto carbon race BMX monty did a fair while back for a show, using the 3box design of an M5, but dirty gret slabs of carbon instead of being slim and neat.

I can see the effect hitting other companies but not until they get a fresh batch anyway, The increase has to benefit such as Echo and other brands based in the East who don't have to pay import and what not before sending out to distributors (I know that will always be the case to a certain extent anyway)?

Items purchased in the Far East are priced in USD, so everything Monty now buy is costing them ~20% more than it did a year ago.

I don't think so. The competition has the same problem.

So true! I work at Dell and for Q1FY16 we had to communicate a price increase as we also buy in Dollar and the Euro is weak atm. Funny thing is that HP and all the other competition have the same problem.